Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE11 Frequent Hangs for Only One User

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Posted here because I don't see a separate IE forum and since IE11 is part of Windows, I view it as a Windows problem. I've been having a problem with one of the PCs where IE frequently hangs (spin, spin, spin ... :thumbdown:) and sometimes gets a "stopped working" error, but not always. It was specific to one of the six users on the machine. I first deleted the user and created a new user in case it was a corrupt IE11 install. Now the new user is experiencing the same problems. It doesn't always give the "stopped working" error and most often just hangs along. Fixes upon reboot, but will end up happening eventually. Turned off all add-ons (including run without permission, etc.) but couldn't determine which add-on might be the culprit on cycling them back on. Also ran Malware Bytes and ESET NOD32 and don't come up with malware or Trojans, etc. in latest scan. I'm flummoxed :scratchhead: . Thoughts and guidance appreciated for this one. Here's the latest hang report:

Problem Event Name: AppHangXProcB1

Application Name: iexplore.exe

Application Version: 11.0.9600.17840

Application Timestamp: 555fe1bb

Hang Signature: 275e

Hang Type: 131201

Waiting on Application Name: taskhost.exe

Waiting on Application Version: 0.0.0.0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: 275e797d8cc7457ef43b6d340e298654

Additional Hang Signature 2: 4e50

Additional Hang Signature 3: 4e507bcd635326e8383d91cf0202871f

Additional Hang Signature 4: 5f01

Additional Hang Signature 5: 5f0124285f96f1e487aed5e86ec0cbb0

Additional Hang Signature 6: 9347

Additional Hang Signature 7: 93477e8bf8063423f673ffc5bd47973f

Again, thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

Have you tried running system file checker and or a clean boot with the particular user account? Do you happen to also transfer the user profile on the new account?

Tekken

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:10 AM

Did the user get to customize/tweak/install things before the problem re-spawned itself in the new profile?

If you use System Restore, does the problem go away if you restore to the first point where the new profile was made?

Have you tried other browsers - does the error happen in them also?

Let's start with this report (to look for hints/patterns):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

And, we'd probably want to see these reports (even though you're not reporting BSOD's):   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

Have you tried running system file checker and or a clean boot with the particular user account? Do you happen to also transfer the user profile on the new account?

Yes, did a clean boot and couldn't identify the process that was causing the trouble. I also ran SFC. Corrupted files were repaired. There were 4 files that couldn't be repaired, but they didn't seem to be related to the problem. The first time I deleted/re-created the user profile, I transferred the old user files to the new user. Same problem. Deleted/re-created again, but didn't transfer the old user files ... same problem.

#5 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Did the user get to customize/tweak/install things before the problem re-spawned itself in the new profile?

If you use System Restore, does the problem go away if you restore to the first point where the new profile was made?

Have you tried other browsers - does the error happen in them also?

Let's start with this report (to look for hints/patterns):

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

And, we'd probably want to see these reports (even though you're not reporting BSOD's):   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

There were no tweaks/customizing for the new user before the problem occurred again. There are several restore points, but the dates/times of the available restore points are all "post problem." Unfortunately, I wasn't made aware of the problem for a couple of weeks.

I'll run the event viewer, and post the other reports as well, shortly.

#6 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

And, we'd probably want to see these reports (even though you're not reporting BSOD's):

Here are the Event Viewer and the BSOD reports ....

Richard

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

Many, many WMP errors in the Admin Event log.  Here's the advice from the errors:

Restart your computer, and then restart the WMPNetworkSvc service. If the problem persists, reinstall Windows Media Player if possible.

Other than that, I'm at a loss here.

Have you tried to run iexplore in Safe Mode?  If not, go to Run and type in "iexplore -extoff" (without the quotes) and see if that helps

Could you post the error reports from here? 

C:\Users\RPA\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\  We're looking for anything that starts with "Critical_iexplore.exe"

Zip it up and upload it for us to have a look at.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

Was also thinking... if IE in Windows program and features is disabled (or need to be disabled temporarily then enable) or try turning off your protection software.

Tekken

#9 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:49 PM

Have you tried to run iexplore in Safe Mode?  If not, go to Run and type in "iexplore -extoff" (without the quotes) and see if that helps

Could you post the error reports from here? 

C:\Users\RPA\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\  We're looking for anything that starts with "Critical_iexplore.exe"

Zip it up and upload it for us to have a look at.

Restarted the WMPNetworkSvc and going to run iexplore with the extoff switch to see what happens. Checked the WER archive and there was nothing in the folder. Also checked the other users and the same was the case - empty.

I'm at a loss, too.

#10 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Was also thinking... if IE in Windows program and features is disabled (or need to be disabled temporarily then enable) or try turning off your protection software.

Running ESET NOD32. It's a clean protection and doesn't hog up the resources.

#11 Nunbet1037

Nunbet1037
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

Okay, here's the result. It happens with or without add-ons running. Also, when the IE hangs and I go to restart, I'm now getting a Task Host hang on the shutdown and have to force the logoff.

When that happens, I start to worry about a hijack. :devil: I've run rkill and other related process killers with no culprits, Malwarebytes and ESET don't identify malware or rootkits. I continue to be flummoxed. :scratchhead:

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

I suspect that there's a problem with something that the user is doing.

I suspect this because the new profile worked for a while before it started messing up.

Another way to test this is to put them on another system with a fresh profile - and see if it pops up then.

How about running another copy of the SysnativeFileCollectionApp so we can look at the Application and System Event Viewer logs (along with MSINFO32)?  Can you be sure to run them in that profile (I'm uncertain if that will affect anything, but am just being cautious)

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Just had another thought.  If you go to Internet Options...Advanced tab...Reset button...and then check the Delete Personal Settings checkbox, then click on Reset.  Does that fix things?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

Try also disabling temporarily IE Enable Protected Mode by the Security tab of Internet Options menu just in case. Make sure to hit Apply.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users