Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Compartmentalized OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 another_java_dev89

another_java_dev89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:05 AM

Let me apologize in advance if I posted this in the incorrect sub-forum--none of the options seemed like a perfect fit.

I have a built Windows 7 PC that I use for work.  I'd like to be able to use the computer for non-work related projects, while keeping personal data completely compartmentalized from work data.
What I need, essentially, is two seperate installations of Windows, running on two different drives, setup in a way that will not allow data from one to bleed into the other.  
As an example, Antivirus scans running from OS-1 should not be able to see any of the programs or data on OS-2.  How would I accomplish this?

The next problem is that I have no free SATA ports, and PCI/USB are not bootable options for my motherboard.  I do, however, have two SSD drives running in RAID0, appearing as a single drive.
I could free up a SATA port by replacing the RAID configuration with a single SSD.  Aside from the usual data backup/restoration process, will I run into any problems doing this?

Edited by another_java_dev89, 24 June 2015 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

I am not 100% sure since backing up from a Raid Array and then going to a single drive may cause issues in and of itself..

Regardless there are 2 ways I have seen this done

1.  Use the computers bios to select the drive from which to use as the boot drive. (Some prefer this method as this keeps both drives truly separate without the use of a third party boot loader.)

2.  Use easybcd to setup a dual boot - boot loader at startup

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:08 PM

How about drive cages?  Install your personal OS on a drive and then swap out drives when you want to switch systems?

Encryption would also be a way that you could separate data.  Use different passwords or user names for encryption so the one OS can't read the other.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:29 PM

Something like this might do the trick;

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=pe_353730_141184700_em_1p_0_ti

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users