Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird squiggles/transparency on black parts of images/flash

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 estockwell

estockwell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:52 AM

I have a year-old Dell Inspiron laptop with a Core i3 processor and Intel HD graphics (more detailed specs available on request). I don't have cable, so it's serving as the primary media player on my giant Samsung TV. I have a really odd minor issue that I'd like to fix, but it's not critical. I've googled endlessly about this but the keywords are weirdly vague enough that I haven't found anyone describing an identical problem.

First, playing a video in VLC media player and using DirectX video output works flawlessly. Many other video output modes show tearing or stuttering for whatever reason, but that's normal in my experience (I like being able to configure things at a low level).

There are a few circumstances where an odd cosmetic issue manifests that I'd like to discuss:

- Playing videos on YouTube

- Displaying images on a webpage

- Having several windows open with a black window in front

I can post screenshots later when I'm at home but here's the best description I can provide in the meantime.

Here's what happens for the first two. If I am browsing the internet or watching a youtube video, and there's an image or part of the video that consists of a completely black area, a white or transparent squiggly line appears around the section of video or image that is completely black. For videos, this means that the line will move and come and go with motion in the video. For the third case, I have a semi-transparent terminal open in front of a browser window with an image with black regions. In this case, whatever's behind the black region of the browser window will show up brightly above the transparent terminal.

I have no clue whether this has something to do with the fact that I'm using a TV as a monitor, although I'm more inclined to think it's an odd issue with the video driver/chipset, even though (as I said before) video playback in a dedicated player does not have this issue when using DirectX output (maybe that's related somehow).

Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about and can provide tips. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users