Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Morning!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:48 AM

Good morning,

I've been a browser of this forum for a very long time, but am usually so much on the go that I don't have time to respond much. In my new position, however, that will be different so I figured it was time to join in the discussions and help out where I can.

I started as a 9-1-1 dispatcher 11 years ago, and then a little over 8 years ago I left and went to work for Geek Squad. Most recently, I accepted a job with a government agency as an E9-1-1 Systems Technician, responsible for NICE recording systems (telephony and radio) and AT&T Viper equipment with Intrado software handling the 9-1-1 and phone systems (if anybody else deals with systems such as this, please get with me!).

I also deal with other things, as assigned or time permits, such as video management software, networking, servers, etc. Happy to be here and hopefully network with you guys and gals!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

So, can somebody tell me what the rules are to be able to reply to threads in all topics? I am trying to help somebody with a virus that they have, and I cannot respond. I used the contact page, and was emailed and told it was for safety of the members, but not advised how to "unlock" this feature. I them PM'd the person I was trying to help and it seems to have gone through, but now I cannot PM an admin. The only thing I saw was having 25 posts to unlock a signature, which I could care less about... sooo... yeah...

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:21 PM

Were you trying to reply in a topic in Malware Removal Logs forum?

If so, you cannot, for the reason specified in the reply to your email: for the safety of those seeking help in that forum.

That forum is highly restricted-replies can only be made by the person who started the topic, members of the Malware Removal Team, designated Study Hall Seniors and BC staff moderators and above.

Wee have special rules in place with regards to malware removal to ensure that members only receive help in this complex and critical area of support from those we know are well informed and trained.

At the top of the Malware Removal Logs Forum is this

Only members of the Malware Response Team or Moderators are allowed to help people with logs. Anyone else should refrain from posting to another user's log.

Before the system was changed there were good intentioned members who wanted to help and did post to log topics even though they should not have. Anytime this happened, the replies were removed from the topic.

The policy also prevents "Me to, I have the same problem" posts in MRL topics.

You cannot "unlock" that feature in order to help in Malware Removal Logs forum.

You can help in Am I Infected? as that forum is open for anyone to help in.

If you do choose to help in Am I Infected? please read this first. It contains a general guidelines and tools which are are allowed/not allowed in AII.

So, can somebody tell me what the rules are to be able to reply to threads in all topics? I am trying to help somebody with a virus that they have, and I cannot respond. I used the contact page, and was emailed and told it was for safety of the members, but not advised how to "unlock" this feature. I them PM'd the person I was trying to help and it seems to have gone through, but now I cannot PM an admin. The only thing I saw was having 25 posts to unlock a signature, which I could care less about... sooo... yeah...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/

To get a feel for things should be done in AII go through some of the topics to see posts by those who are regular helpers there.

Please be aware that since anyone can help in AII staff does closely monitor that forum to make sure that those being helped receive the best possible advice and help.

I them PM'd the person I was trying to help and it seems to have gone through

Please see Forum RULES.

All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc).

This is also for the protection of those seeking help to make sure they receive correct advice/suggestions.

What issue(s) did you experience when you tried to send a private message to an admin?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 June 2015 - 06:24 PM.

#4 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

Were you trying to reply in a topic in Malware Removal Logs forum?

If so, you cannot, for the reason specified in the reply to your email: for the safety of those seeking help in that forum.

That forum is highly restricted-replies can only be made by the person who started the topic, members of the Malware Removal Team, designated Study Hall Seniors and BC staff moderators and above.

Wee have special rules in place with regards to malware removal to ensure that members only receive help in this complex and critical area of support from those we know are well informed and trained.

At the top of the Malware Removal Logs Forum is this

Only members of the Malware Response Team or Moderators are allowed to help people with logs. Anyone else should refrain from posting to another user's log.

You cannot "unlock" that feature in order to help in Malware Removal Logs forum.

You can help in Am I Infected? as that forum is open for anyone to help in.

To get a feel for things should be done in AII go through some of the topics to see posts by those who are regular helpers there.

What issue(s) did you experience when you tried to send a private message to an admin?

Yes, I was trying to respond in that specific forum. The admin who emailed me didn't provide as detailed of a response, so it seemed like it was an 'unlockable' feature. I didn't realize that there was a special team of people who were allowed to respond in that forum. If you can't "unlock" that feature, how do you get to be "members of the Malware Removal Team, designated Study Hall Seniors and BC staff moderators and above?" It seems that the rules are pretty strict even in the "Am I Infected" forum, but I believe I followed the rules properly there.

I also didn't see the part the said I couldn't PM somebody to help, but it's already done so nothing I can do about it now. I posted the same advice in the All thread. Hopefully it will help somebody else as well.

As for the PM issues, it told me that I couldn't send another PM right now because I had already sent one. If memory serves me right, I believe it was a 24 hour wait to send another one? I can kind of understand for new members, but it seems like a single PM in 24 hours is a bit overkill. Maybe 2 or 3 for the limit would be better, just a thought.

Thanks for your help!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

As I said in my previous post the restriction regarding who can reply to posts in Malware Removal Logs is posted at the top of the main MRL page.

In addition, on the main forum page, under the Security category/Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs is this: (bold red mine)

One of the last bastions of computer security warriors and healers. Bring your troubled PC here for top-of-the-line help with Malware Analysis and Removal by our trained professionals. This forum is only for those seeking aide with Malware removal. For security purposes, only authorized personnel may respond to requests for assistance.

I looked at your posts in Am I Infected. There is nothing wrong with them.

Rules for helping in Am I Infected are strict. We want to make sure that everyone gets the help they deserve using general tools and procedures. AII is closely monitored to make sure the rules for that forum are followed AND to make sure that people get the best, correct advice/help.

Certain tools are not allowed in that forum because they are powerful and need to be used under the supervision of those who have been trained in their use. Yes, it is possible that one can say "I do know how to use those tools" but we don't have a way to verify that. Even if we could verify, they would still NOT be able to use them in Am I Infected. 

how do you get to be "members of the Malware Removal Team, designated Study Hall Seniors and BC staff moderators and above?"

Here is information about the Malware Removal Training Program here at Bleeping Computer
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532535/malware-removal-training-program/

Regarding staff:

From here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/80359/bleeping-computer-membership-descriptions/

While this specifically mentions advisors, it also applies to all staff postions (moderators, global moderators, site admins) who nominate their peers for the postitions.

Bleeping Computer Advisors are regular forum contributors who have been nominated by other current Advisors or other members of the staff as a result of their consistently high quality and expert responses to people's questions in the forums

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 June 2015 - 10:38 AM.

#6 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

Thank you for your response, I appreciate the information. I'm just trying to be helpful on the forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users