Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 drozman

drozman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:11 AM

So I hear windows 10 will not have a media player and also will not have IE.

Will I be able to download and use a earlier version of windows media player and use it? 

and is it possible to download IE and use that in windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:19 AM

My guess is that if they are not making it to be on WIN 10 then they wont be making previous versions compatible. I believe you can DL VLC player to use on WIN 10. 

#3 drozman

drozman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:35 AM

yeah I figured it would not be compatible.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:01 AM

You might be able to download and use Internet Explorer but why when Microsoft Edge is a really good web browser.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 drozman

drozman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

Never used Microsoft edge will have to try it when I get windows 10. Old Habits are hard to break for us old people lol.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

I'm pretty that Windows 10 includes both Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer. What it doesn't include is a Windows Media Center feature and a program that can do DVD playback, but VLC (which is very good and free) can do that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 drozman

drozman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:15 AM

thanks aura.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

No problem drozman :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

So I hear windows 10 will not have a media player and also will not have IE.

Will I be able to download and use a earlier version of windows media player and use it? 

and is it possible to download IE and use that in windows 10

Edge does work much better than IE but, in Windows 10 w/ Edge, IE will , still, (also) be available.  Ergo, no need to DL IE to have use of it.  But, to repeat, Edge is much better than IE.

Windows 10 will not have Windows Media Centre but, does have Windows Media Player.  For those who had Win 8.1 w/ Media Ctr, Windows 10 (GA) will have a DVD player and no need to add a 3rd Party one.  For those who did not have WMC, they may find it necessary to add VLC.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 24 June 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:01 PM

And there's also other alternatives to Windows Media Center, good ones. Roku and Kodi are two of them.

unite_blue.png

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:10 AM

Never used Microsoft edge will have to try it when I get windows 10. Old Habits are hard to break for us old people lol.

I'll be blunt enough to say you should.  It is so damn stable!  Seems darn quick, too.  NEVER throws up "Not responding" or "Has stopped working"...  those might sound familiar from another (old) browser which, basically is being replaced (although not buried) by Edge.

Much as I am impressed w/ it & use it all the time, I do have a few concerns which I have voiced to the Build Team but, I also, know Edge in Build 10130 is far from being in its finished final form.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#12 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:06 PM

I haven't used edge, so I would love to use it.

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:32 PM

I haven't used edge, so I would love to use it.

Well, Nat, it is available to use in your Windows 10.  So don't delay, go ahead & use it.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#14 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

yeah, I didn't feel like using it till now a I thought Crome is best.

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:41 AM

yeah, I didn't feel like using it till now a I thought Crome is best.

Certainly there is always heaps of debate regarding "Best browser".  But, I really do think Edge will be in a class of its own.  Currently there's some functionality that is not quite all there but, in terms of fast, stable, secure & not chewing away @ resources will likely be there or already is.

One thing, have never seen it say, "Not responding" or "Has stopped working" and that's new & refreshing compared to other browsers.  Never yet had Edge 'hang'.  There is, @ this time, the odd web site not quite right in Edge (this Forum for one) but, most are fine in it & most others that aren't will be soon.  Seems all will load in Edge but, some have functional issues, right now.  any w/ snags, I just run them in IE, for the time being.  Aside from the rare one like that, am using Edge for everything.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users