Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I wipe the D drive?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

My C drive is 233 GB Free 268 GB Used space and

D drive is 5.90GB Free space and 58.5 GB used

( i don't use this section as it freezes up and still has original old desk-top and the  and the main reason

why i reinstalled  a windows 7 some time back onto the C drive)

Would it be of any use to wipe this drive as i have all the backed up data of Pictures Documents etc saved to USB.As it takes up a lot of  space which  is wasted ?

Grateful for any help please.

Ben_26

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi hamluis,

here is the speccy report

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UG3nmZMOCq2DddE77rzo6q8

Thanks for your time

Ben_26

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

Well...if it were me...I'd delete both partitions and clean install Win 7, assuming that I have an install DVD for Win 7 and a legal license.

I can't advise deleting the existing partition because it might be the boot partition...deleting would necessitate at least a repair of the Win 7 install, if such is the case.  If you are not going to clean install Win 7...I'd just let that partition be, as long as your system currently boots properly.

Louis

#5 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

Hi hamluis,

Thank you for you time and opinion once again and for always helping myself and others with your expert knowledge your  a great help  on the forum

Best of luck from England UK :thumbup2:

Ben_26

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

Thank you :).

Louis

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:44 AM

I wasn't asked, but I'm gonna toss in my 2 cents worth. First and foremost, there are two partitions on that disk. The first, Partition 0, is labeled D and contains the original Windows installation. This first partition is normally the boot partition.

The second partition, Partition 1, contains your current Windows installation.

What really concerns me is this: the drive capacity is 640,000,000,000 bytes or 596 GB. You are using 326 GB in the two partitions, leaving 270GB unaccounted for. I can think of many reasons for this, with few of them good.

Louis is correct. If you have the media and a valid product key, I would save off any critical data files, delete ALL partitions, , making sure the entire 596GB is available, and do a clean install of Windows. Your only real concern is to get the latest device drivers from the maker, or the motherboard mfr. The disk strip and reformat functions can be performed from the windows 7 installation program on the DVD.

On re-reading the Speccy report, it is possible that you have not allocated the missing 270GB. Right-click on My Computer, select Manage, and select "Disk Management". When the screen comes up, you should see two partitions displayed with a third area that says "Unallocated". If that's the case then the questions are answered. I would still suggest deleting all partitions with the Windows installer and doing a clean install of Windows.

Which brings up another question. Is this a commercial computer, ie was it made by someone like Dell or Acer, or did you build it? In other words, who made it and what is the model number? DO you have the installation media and a valid product key for Windows 7? You seemed to indicate that you did in your original posting.

There are many good tutorials on how to install Windows 7 and how to format and repartition the disk. If the disk is more than 4 years old, I would replace it.

Finally, you have a 64-bit OS loaded and running, but only have 2GB of memory installed. I would install another 3 sticks of memory (of exactly the same type and part number) to bring it up to 8GB. 4GB (one more stick) is the very least I would use with a 64-bit OS. Otherwise the machine spends far too much time swapping stuff into and out of the page file, which makes the machine very slow.

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:26 AM

H,

I will just add to the previous comments about RAM which were correct, certainly. But, also...  Having less that 4GB in a 64 bit system is simply missing a fundamental point.  X86 will only use about max 3.5GB RAM.  However, x64 will; ergo it may as well have 4 or more since it will take full advantage of what is available.

I agree, wipe the drive & re-install but, here is where I diverge... IF there is only 1 drive involved, when doing the install, don't use all the drive (space).  Split it; doesn't have to be equal, could be 200 & 300, whatever... point is will end up w/ a drive for the OS & one that can be Data.  You won't actually see it after the install is done.  You have to go to Disc Management & format it, then it will show & be usable.  Reason being means there is a separate location for data storage.  Even C:\ drive files can be copied or moved to there.  Now IF the OS ever had to be rebuilt the data would not be lost, need to be save or impacted, @ all & would remain intact.  This is the next best thing to having physically separate & distinct drives for the OS & Data.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#9 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:12 AM

Drew:

I agree entirely. The objective in my post was to make it simple for him. My own system uses a 240GB SSD as a boot device, and a 1.5TB whirlydisk for data that's split into two volumes for convenience. That makes Acronis imaging of the boot drive very simple and allows the data disk to be simply copied to back it up. I would suggest that the OP use two disks, as you stated, one for boot, one for data. However, as most people use the Windows Library structure and the predefined folders, and since relocating data into a new volume is not intuitive, such a separation can be difficult. In my case, it involves a third-party tool (Tuneup Utilities) to set the default locations for the data files. That's for Windows XP and 7. I haven't even tried it in 8 or 10, although I imagine it will be comparable.

Since he has a 640GB disk, setting it up with 150GB for boot and the rest for data (D) is simple. Remember that the Windows installer will set up one additional 100MB partition at the beginning of the disk as "System Reserved" for the boot image. So, my recommendation is to install Windows on the entire disk initially, then shrink the Windows partition down to 150GB and set up the remainder of the disk (now unallocated) as D.

But, before ANY of this can happen, IMHO he MUST install at least another 2GB, preferably 6GB, of memory. 2GB will keep Windows grinding up the disk doing page file swaps constantly. I use 32GB of RAM and the page file never gets used.

As I said, partitioning and formatting can be done from the installation media, but it's hidden. The easiest way is to select "Use the entire disk", but selecting "advanced" (below the main window) allows all sorts of tricks. This is not for the faint of heart.

The other thing is that I find myself routinely reinstalling the whole system every 12 to 18 months or so. Seems to speed things up quite a bit.

Edited by davnel, 26 June 2015 - 04:20 AM.

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

I don't know if I'd really call it "hidden"... though, it is a matter of knowing what to do.  That is to say, Select New & then put in the size one wants the drive (or partition) being used.  It's just if @ install & one knows the sizes they want, seems easier than bothering w/ finding ways to make the partitions after the fact.

In 8.1 & will be the same w/ 10, personally, I don't use any 3rd Party .... rather just let the abilities native to the OS look after backup to my External.

It may not be intuitive & that may be part of why I always educate clients about either initially directing material to the Data drive or copying or moving files from the OS drive to the Data drive.  I'm a big advocate of redundancy...Data drive, External & Cloud, as Mae West said, "too much of a good thing is wonderful".  All one needs to know is don't give the redundant folders the same name as the original, as in Photos to Pics, for example.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#11 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Hi Drew 1903 and Davnel thank-you both for your in depth contribution which i will

digest over a Cup of Tea ,you both  have been very generous in your help, i certainly have learn't

from many of the members of this forum like yourselves.

Best regards from England UK

Ben_26 :thumbsup:

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for saying so, Ben and you are very welcome.  BTW, my name is Drew   (w/out the 1903)

Comments like yours make it very rewarding.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users