Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start up...software or hardware?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Darel

Darel

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Hi all,

My wife's laptop is a HP Pavilion dv7.  It's a little older but was working OK until this week.  We haven't been able to get it to start up in a few days an I was hoping you guys could help me figure out what's up.

Some general notes that are probably of no importance:

- normally runs pretty hot.  I have disassembled it, the fan is working and there was not much dust in it.  I did clean out whatever was in there.

- my wife has about eight thousand programs that open in the toolbar at the bottom.  I know this is an issue, but at this point I can't even get in to delete the unnecessary ones.

- Despite a new battery it immediately shuts off when unplugged.  Not a big deal (not worth replacing the power supply) but I only mention it in case it might be related to the startup issue.  That's all.

When I power up I get:

Attached File  2015-06-24 08.31.49.jpg   117.97KB   2 downloads

When I select "start windows normally", it just sits on the "Starting Windows" screen forever.  The following pictures are some results I get when I click "launch startup repair" (multiple pictures because I scrolled down so you could see all the faults.

Attached File  2015-06-24 08.34.56.jpg   83.43KB   2 downloads

Attached File  2015-06-24 08.35.30.jpg   145.13KB   2 downloads

Also, one more result I got running a different check off of HP Recovery Manager:

Attached File  2015-06-24 08.36.04.jpg   108.71KB   2 downloads

Is this even a hardware or software issue?  Any recommendations how to proceed?  I have not actually performed any kind of recovery yet, I would like to try and get it running without having to lose everything she's got saved on it now.

Thanks for all your help!

Darel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:06 AM

By the way when I run CHKDSK it will finish its' check then immediately shut the window, which is why I have the screen shot of it still in progress...nothing more substantial than that information comes up further along in the process anyway.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

If you tap F8 at boot and select Last Known Good Configuration does the computer boot successfully? If that does not work tap F8 at boot and select Repair Your Computer. At the repair window select System Restore and restore to a data just before the problem. Do this after your chkdsk finishes.

I will be out for most of the morning.

#4 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

F8 does nothing.

#5 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

I restored to a file dated 6/12 and now I have even less functionality.  When the HP Recovery Assistant opens the only "active" selections are contact customer support and Run Computer Checkup, which was how I got the screen shots earlier.  However, now if I select Checkup, the only option active is Open Command Prompt.  I no longer have any way to do another system restore (as I did before).  F8 still does nothing.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

Do you have another Windows 7 computer that can burn an iso disk or create a System Rescue Disk?

Edit: If you tap Esc at boot does it give you an option to do hardware diagnostics?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#7 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:27 PM

Thanks John,

Just a quick note to let you know I did find a menu by pressing esc at startup and I have been working my way through all the tests I found there.  Most of them are taking several hours but so far everything has passed.  I will post full results when I work through all of them.  Only failure so far is a secondary battery, which I knew about since for about a year now the computer won't run when unplugged.  I haven't been worried about it.  When doing the run-in test, after completing Optimized DST the run-in test set would continually run over and over, in a loop.  Esc got me back to the main menu and I got the next test running. 

I do not have another Windows 7 computer.

I'll post full results after all the tests are run.

Thank you!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:16 PM

Just a quick note. If you have any other computer available it would be possible to create a bootable disk to recover any important data and then do a full factory reset. 

#9 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:27 AM

How would I do that?  I have my own laptop.

One thing I have noticed is that this computer has had overheating issues as of late, often if my wife needs to video conference for one of her classes she has to shut it down an hour prior and let it cool down, then start it up immediately before class.  Also while we were trying to start it and it wasn't going it would immediately get very hot.  While running all these tests (no Windows running) the computer has been cool as a cucumber and the fan hasn't even kicked out of low speed.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

There have been issues with the dv-7 overheating. If the computer you have is a Windows computer you can burn a linux distro like Puppy linux or a Hiren's CD and use the mini-XP to browse the comptuer and save the files to a external drive or flash drive.

As the computer is probably overheating using a boot disk may not be the best option.

You can also remove the drive and place it in a USB enclosure allowing your other Windows computer to read the files.

#11 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

John,

All tests passed.  Looks like it's a software issue, not hardware then?

How do I actually fix it for good?  Do I need to find a Windows 7 disk and reload the whole OS?

Looking at both of the above options you mention, I'm not quite sure what they do or how to use them.  Are they something that will actually fix the issue, or just allow access to the files on the broken computer?  Would I have to download them to a disk, then transfer the disk into the bad computer?  Since it won't even start up, if this is the case, how would I use the disk?

Thanks for all your help,

Darel

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:47 PM

Add an external USB-connected, USB or AC powered, notebook/laptop cooling assembly, either one giant fan or twin fans. I did, and both mmy laptops work cooler. And no more sudden poweroffs from overheating cause.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:03 PM

The Hirens disk can be used to copy your files from the hard drive to an extenal drive. It's a minimal OS just like Puppy linux. There is another bootable disk that you can use. The guide is here. When you boot the disk you would get an XP like desktop with a File explorer. We can try recovering the registry hives in the Regback folder using one of the above disks. This may or may not get the computer booting again. The Hirens disk ( Edit: or the Rescue Disk I linked to above)would be the easiest to use. The Hiren's disk would download as an iso file. You would burn it to disk using a program like Imgburn on another computer. Then boot the disk on your Windows 7 computer. When it boots select MiniXP.

After recovering your data you could do a factory reset if the recovery partition is intact but any programs added after purchase would need to be reinstalled. 

I was hoping you could get a Windows 7 system repair disk as that would give you some extra options on fixing the problem. Using that you could preform a startup repair or possibly another system restore. If you can find access to a Windows 7 computer anywhere you could create a System Repair Disk.

If the factory reset does work you can order a set of recovery disks from HP for a nominal cost. I think it's about $20

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 June 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#14 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:35 PM

I think you should install the OS again, because it is creating a lot of issue and problem to you. This is the last option to do

#15 Darel

Darel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:29 AM

Can I download a Win7 system recovery disk from here, or another site like it?  https://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

I only ask without trying first, because it seems like half the time websites like this are those weird clickbait jobs where they don't actually provide any service other than to take you down a rabbit hole of ads and spyware.

Maybe I can use my laptop to download a recovery disk to a DVD and transfer it over to my wife's dead computer?

Unfortunately on the dead one, every menu I've found that has any sort of "system restore" or system recovery" now gives me an error message "cannot find specified file" or "file must be copied" error, like after I tried the restore I mentioned above in this thread it deleted any of the reference backups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users