Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 64bit Random Hang

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sathar

Sathar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

Good morning, and thank you in advance for your help.

I am using a home-made Windows 7 system which I built about a year and a half ago, and has been fairly stable.  I recently (about 3 days ago) began experiencing random hangs.  The first occurence was overnight while the machine was asleep (maybe 4am or so local, this might have been after an automatic update), and now I get a hard hang about 2-3 minutes after startup every time (frozen screen, unresponsive cursor/mouse/keyboard, needs a hard reset).  Safe mode is stable (or as stable as it gets :) ).

I have added no new hardware recently.  The only significantly new application is Citrix receiver, which was running for about a week without issues.  I tried a System Restore to before the hangs without improvement.

I read a few similar threads but don't feel much closer to finding the culprit.

My info:

Spoiler

Edit:

BTW, I ran the Collection App in Safe Mode.  In normal mode, the system hangs before the app can complete.

PerfMon has just enough time to complete in normal mode.

Attached Files

Edited by Sathar, 24 June 2015 - 07:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:16 AM

BIOS/UEFI (version 2004) dates from 2014.  Please update to the latest available version.

You have 4 or 5 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

AMDA00 Interface    ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&DABA3FF&1    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
Security Processor Loader Driver    ROOT\LEGACY_SPLDR\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
NVIDIA High Definition Audio    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0044&SUBSYS_38423787&REV_1001\5&1F00E892&0&0001    This device is disabled.
ehdrv    ROOT\LEGACY_EHDRV\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

Please visit the motherboard manufacturer's website and install the appropriate drivers for the first 2

The 3rd item is disabled.  Did you do this deliberately?  If so, why?

The last item appears to be a driver for ESET software.  Have you recently uninstall that software?  If so, try reinstalling and then uninstalling again.
If not, then I'd have to wonder about malware infecting your system.  Please post over in the Am I Infected forums for assistance with that.

Many, many errors from the Mobizen application.

Uninstall it.

See if it works now.

If not, post back and we'll see what else we can find.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sathar

Sathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the quick reply:

BIOS/UEFI (version 2004) dates from 2014.  Please update to the latest available version.

I know that there are a couple of newer updates, but they list changes that don't seem to affect me.  When I ran the ASUS auto-updater, it told me that a BIOS update was not necessary.  Rather than create new problems, I did not update, but I will if you think that I should.

You have 4 or 5 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply? 

Antec HCP-850 Platinum 850W purchased in January 2014 at the time of the system build.

C: is a Samsung SSD (purchased 01/2014), my boot/Windows drive with most applications

D: is the HDD from my prior build (200GB)

E: is a WD 2TB HDD for mass storage

F: is the old Intel 75GB SSD from my prior build

All four have been in my system and stable since the initial build.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

AMDA00 Interface    ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&DABA3FF&1    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
Security Processor Loader Driver    ROOT\LEGACY_SPLDR\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
NVIDIA High Definition Audio    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0044&SUBSYS_38423787&REV_1001\5&1F00E892&0&0001    This device is disabled.
ehdrv    ROOT\LEGACY_EHDRV\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

Please visit the motherboard manufacturer's website and install the appropriate drivers for the first 2

Will try and get back to you.

The 3rd item is disabled.  Did you do this deliberately?  If so, why? I use the MB's on board audio, the other is diabled to avoid conflicts, I'm not sure what originally tried to install it, I assume it came with the GPU drivers.

The last item appears to be a driver for ESET software.  Have you recently uninstall that software?  If so, try reinstalling and then uninstalling again.
If not, then I'd have to wonder about malware infecting your system.  Please post over in the Am I Infected forums for assistance with that.  ESET (my anti-virus) is installed and running without complaints.  Could this error be because the diagnostic is being run in safe mode, which seems to disable ESET?

Many, many errors from the Mobizen application.

Uninstall it.  I don't know what that application is or where it came from.  I'll find and eliminate it -- I can't find any such application installed.  It is not something that I ever would have installed deliberately.  It's not listed in the Programs list or a file search.  The closest entry is "Remote PC Agent" which appears to be the same publisher ("RSUPPORT"), I'll uninstall that if you like.  I also just ran a Malwarebytes anti-malware scan which found nothing.   Update: Remote PC agent is something which I installed about six months ago but do not regularly use.  I have now uninstalled it, though I don't believe it would be connected to my current issue.

See if it works now.

If not, post back and we'll see what else we can find.

Good luck!

Edited by Sathar, 24 June 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#4 Sathar

Sathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

AMDA00 Interface : While this driver shows as broken while in Safe Mode, after a normal boot it is listed as working

Security Processor Loader Driver : Possibly another Safe Mode false alarm.  I can't find this driver either in the Device Manager or on the ASUS website.  A quick Google search suggests that it may be associated with the GPU.  I did not update the GPU driver before the systems hangs began.

Update: From answers.microsoft.com "The Security Processor Loader Driver does not load in safe mode."

Edited by Sathar, 24 June 2015 - 10:08 AM.

#5 Sathar

Sathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:22 AM

One more puzzle piece:

While my usual problem is a system hang, once or twice I have gotten an actual BSOD.  I don't have the stop codes, I'll try to get them if it happens again.  The BSOD mentioned something about a secondary processor not responding.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:00 AM

It's your system and you do what you want to it.

BUT, all of the BIOS/UEFI changes aren't necessarily listed, nor is the conversion to English from code very accurate (and if being converted from another language to English it becomes even less accurate).

If you're still uncertain about the update - leave it until it's the very last thing that you try.

Here's another way to get into normal mode.  It's called a clean boot and it resolves some problems with systems that can't stay in normal mode:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If this helps out with the normal mode problem - then test by re-enabling ½ of the items and test again.  Keep this up until you've identified the problem.

FYI - this is most likely the BSOD error that mentions a secondary processor:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000101

Here's the 3 things that I like to see from normal mode (the first one can be done from Safe Mode):

1 - Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it. 

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

2 - MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

3 - systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

Edited by usasma, 25 June 2015 - 05:03 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Sathar

Sathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

BIOS updated to 2103

I believe that is the BSOD error I've gotten.

I have no dump files.  I do recall the BSOD mentioning that the dump file size was inadequate.  I've set up the minidump settings as instructed.  The random hangs generate no dumps, so I guess I'll have to wait for the more elusive BSOD to occur.

MSINFO32 and systeminfo files attached.

I'll try the clean boot when I have more time later today/tonight/tomorrow.

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

Nothing real significant in this set of reports.  The .nfo file is corrupted, so I had to use the .txt.  It's not as efficient, but I think I was able to view all the stuff I needed.

We can wait on the memory dumps - I'll be here if they come back.

Have a look at this page:  https://www.rsupport.com/en-us/

This is where the major error is coming from ( the rsautoup_.exe file is constantly crashing)

It's possible that it was packaged with the software from another program

Also, look for crash reports here:  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\

Eureka!  I found it!

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Remote PC\rsautoup_.exe

Please uninstall the Samsung RemotePC software from your system

#9 Sathar

Sathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

I can find no such application and that directory/file does not exist.  The closest thing was the "Remote PC Agent" which I uninstalled a few steps back.  There is nothing remotely similar in my Programs list, and I don't see it or "rsautoup_.exe" either in my Task Manager or Task Scheduler.

There is a "RemoteView5 Tray" entry in my System Configuration/Startup tab which links to that directory, but it is and has been disabled for some time.  I don't know why it's still there but I don't see any way to remove it beyond simply leaving it disabled.

The only other Samsung software installed is Samsung Magician, which is a maintenance/performance utility for my boot drive SSD.  As far as I can tell, RemotePC is not a component of Magician.

#10 Sathar

Sathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

Another update:  7 minutes and still running after a "clean boot", which is longer than I've been getting (usually hangs around the 2-3 minute mark).  I'm going to try re-enabling things and see what shakes out.

Update #2:  I've re-enabled everything in the Services tab (except for a couple of things I want to leave off, like Adobe Acrobat Autoupdater), and things still look stable.  I'm going to start picking through the Startup tab and see what's what.

Update #3:  Some progress.  I've reactivated everything I want to active in the Startup tab, except for ESET (my antivirus) -- there are boxes in both the Services and Startup tabs but they won't stay checked.  Running the ESET AV program manually gives me a "Eset can't access the kernel" error.  I've manually uninstalled ESET and am now in the process of reinstalling it.  So far no hangs while working through this.

Edited by Sathar, 26 June 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#11 Sathar

Sathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:38 PM

Time for my Eureka moment:

So I reinstalled my antivirus (ESET NOD32 Antivirus, did a fresh download), rebooted, and got another system hang after about 2'50".

I've uninstalled it again, and so far so good (up two minutes so far as I keep typing).

For whatever reason, it's beginning to look like the culprit (3 1/2 minutes so far).

Now I just have to find another AV product, though I've used ESET for about six or seven years now and generally like it (maybe I'll go poke around their support forum for a bit first).

Up for over five minutes now without hanging, that's longer than it ever took for a hang since the trouble began.  I'm calling this "fixed", but I'll post back if it happens again.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:28 PM

Nice work!  Thanks for letting us know!

Could it be that ESET isn't the problem, and it's just hanging because of something else causing a problem?

Take a look in the Event Viewer's Application log file to see what errors you can see with ESET around the time of the hang.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users