Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What processfor fan do I buy?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RickWolford

RickWolford

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

My processor fan went out and I am wanting to buy another one but I have no idea what fan to buy.

I have an AMD FX 4100 Quadcore 3.6GHz.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2.

When I look up the socket type for my motherboard, it says it supports the following processors.

• AMD AM3+

• AMD AM3 Phenom II

• AMD Athlon II

However, I'm still lost on what to buy. Can someone help me please?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

When looking at cpu coolers not only do you need to purchase one designed for your processor' socket type but you also need to know how much room you have in your case (from the top of the cpu to the side of the case (otherwise you won't be able to put the case back on)  Since you don't state how much room you have or the type of case you have and if you are worried about it you can go with a low profile cooler like this one from noctua.  Or you will have to measure and look at all your options.

I re - read your question and realized you only need the fan.  Well what size fan (across in MM) is the current one?  40/80/92/120 mm??  Once you have the size you can go to newegg or directron or some other place and get a replacement cpu cooling fan.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 24 June 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

FWIW:  I just use the stock fan which comes with the retail FX series that I own.  I have bought several 3d-party heatsink/fan units...but I find them more troublesome to install than the stock and my temps using the stock have been reasonable, with no indication of problems.

Louis

#4 RickWolford

RickWolford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:22 AM

I found a fan thanks to both of you! Thank you very much =]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users