How To install Linux Mint in VirtualBox on a Windows Host
The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to install Linux Mint in VirtualBox on a Windows host.
You want to try Linux but don’t want the risk of messing up your main system? This tutorial shows you how to do that!
Although I think there’s no risk in following this tutorial I advise you to take the necessary steps to back up your system/data before you proceed!
§ Windows OS
I use Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 but XP and later will do.
§ VirtualBox + Extension Pack
You can download both for free : Click !
§ Linux ISO
I’m using Linux Mint 17.1 (x64) Cinnamon but you can use any distro you like, just make sure you don’t pick a 64bits (x64) version if your main system is 32bits (x86). The opposite will work and can be used when you’re low on RAM.
Make your choice and download for free : Click !
Please watch in 720 or 1080p
If you’re accustomed with VirtualBox and Linux, below instructions will suffice otherwise watch the video for more details!
· Download the tools you need (see Tools Needed).
· Install VirtualBox and the Extension Pack on your main system.
· Restart your machine !
· Open VirtualBox and create a new Virtual Machine (VM).
· Make sure to watch the video to get the settings right !
· After starting your newly created VM you are now in the Live Version of Linux Mint !
· Install Linux Mint in VirtualBox by following the steps in the video.
· Install the Guest Additions by following the steps in the video.
· Restart your Linux VM and now you can start playing with Linux !
· Enjoy !
Source (rewrite for BC) : How To install Linux Mint in VirtualBox
I was advised to put this tutorial in this section by a BC Advisor as it’s a little difficult to place (Windows and Linux).
Please keep the comments on topic, if you have general questions about VirtualBox or Linux open a new topic.
Edited by O.T.T., 24 June 2015 - 07:28 AM.