Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Action Center: "Solve a problem with your hard drive controller"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 person721

person721

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

Hello everyone :)

I installed Windows 8.1 on my 5-year-old PC and I have a flag on the right-bottom end of my screen. When I click on it, it says I have: "1 Message", which is: "Solve a problem with your hard drive controller".

When I open the Action Center, it gives more information on the problem. It says:

"Your hard-disk controller isn't working properly because a compatible driver is not available for this version of Windows."

When I click afterwards on the button "View message details" in the Action Center, it says in the middle of the window: "Opening Solution".

After a bit less than a minute I see a message on the screen, that says:

"This solution could not be downloaded.

Most likely causes:

• Your computer was unable to download the solution at this time. Check to make sure your computer is connected to the Internet, and then try to download the solution again later."

And the Internet is working just fine.

My PC, including motherboard, is 5 years-old (GYGABYTE Model: GA-P55A-UD4P (rev. 1.0)), and the latest drivers is of Windows 7 version.

I have to mention that I haven't encountered in any problem since I installed Windows 8.1 so far.

So, Is this really an issue?

Should I do anything to solve this issue?

Thank you for reading and trying to help me :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

Depends on which controller it's talking about.

If it's the Intel controller, try updating it from the Intel Download Center ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com )

If it's the Marvell controller, see if they have an update available at http://www.marvell.com/support/downloads/search.do

If it's the Gigabyte controller, then there's not much else you can do.

If that update search doesn't help, then there's 2 things that you can do:

- live with it

- purchase a new, Win8.1 compatible motherboard

Compatibility is a rather vague thing.  The system can work just fine for the longest time, then all of a sudden an update can cause it to stop working.
Since Windows is reporting a problem, I'd suspect that you'll experience the compatibility problem sooner rather than later.

If you decide to live with it, be sure to implement a rigorous backup program - as there's no telling what will happen to the system once the incompatibility is revealed.

The problem here is that the storage controller runs the hard drive - where everything is stored.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hi John, and thank you for responding.

Can you please help me find out which controller Windows is talking about (Intel, Marvell or Gigabyte)? I mean, where should I be looking?

Maybe this will help. I attached to this reply a screenshot of my Device Manager. I hope there is information from there that is relevant.

Thank you for your help, John :)

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:52 AM

Add WinCDEmu to the list!

Try first uninstalling WinCDEmu and see if that helps.

I'd suspect it before I'd suspect any of the others.

What version of WinCDEmu are you using?

Right click on it's entry in Device Manager, select Properties, then select the Driver tab.

Let us know what it says for the name, version, and date(s)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:21 AM

I'm attaching to this reply a screenshot of the properties of the driver.

I uninstalled the WinCDEmu from the Device Manager and from "Uninstall a Program" window, and restarted my PC.

Now, I'm not sure how to check if things are fine now.

A few days ago I archived the message about the problem and the message resides now in the "Archived Messages" window. In this window it has a date column (20/6/2015 23:00), and it says that it was done manually.

Do I need somehow to clear this message from there and make my PC to check the controllers again?

And if so, how do I do it?

Thanks John.

Attached Files

Edited by person721, 25 June 2015 - 04:18 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:26 PM

Here's how to delete the archived messages:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/how-to-delete-archived-messages-in-action-center/c68e65b8-d4cb-4242-a649-a8a531c25f78

Then just let the PC run and see if it comes up with that problem again.

I doubt it will, as the WinCDEmu driver dates from 2011 - so it's the most likely culprit

#7 person721

person721
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

Thanks John.

The link you provided applies to Windows 7 OS. I couldn't find from their instructions the Disk Cleanup Utility.

So for those who can't find the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows 8.1, click on the start button and in the search box enter: "cleanmgr", and then click on the result with that name.

Thank you again for your help John.

I really appreciate it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users