Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help solving text/email mystery trick

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Julia1963

Julia1963

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:02 AM

Ok, this is a strange issue and I know it has to be some type of security application to annonymize users and I had a friend who knows a lot about computers stumped on solving this so here goes.

I had a friend who I initially created a contact (for her number for text on my iPhone) as 'Cindy'. I also received email from 'Cindy' from her email address and when I would look at my new emails, if she wrote, the email would say it was from 'Cindy'

Well Cindy dropped contact and wanted to completely lose me (I think) because:

Now the name under which her old texts and email are found have suddenly included a last name that isn't hers. For example, my old texts, when I scroll through old texts to my ones between us now say 'Cindy Thomas'. When I put her first name in the search box for my old emails it now comes up with 'Cindy Thomas' results.

I have not somehow gone into my phone and computer and added the name 'THomas'

On she had not been alone with nor know my computer passwords to create this issue.

It's almost as if she wants to convince me that I can no longer contact her because it now appears 'Cindy' is now a different Cindy; a 'Cindy Thomas' and so if I send text or email her it will not get to her.

Is there an application which can somehow affect a computer and phone in such a way as to change the contact information for oneself to a different name to confuse and put off those trying to contact someone?

How could this new name appear on my phone and computer without me typing it in myself?! I don't know a 'Cindy Thomas'.

Can anyone solve this mystery. I know there are alot of security applications/software out there and she must be using one but I don't know what it is or how it works.

Thanks for all help.

I'm going crazy!!

-Julia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MidnightShadow

MidnightShadow

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:47 PM

Hi Julia!

My first suspicion is that you have an app on your phone that is synchronizing your contacts (such as Facebook or Skype). Many of these apps will ask if you want to sync your contacts (or will do it by default) and they can cause a mess in your contacts if you're not careful. It can also be a few other things, so let's see if we can get some information to help narrow it down. :)

Have you recently installed a new app or updated a social media app?

The contact information for the "Cindy Thomas"... is any of it the same information that your friend Cindy uses, like maybe one the same numbers or email addresses?

What type of computer are you using, Mac or Windows?

Finally, is there another member of your family that you share an Apple ID with to sign into your iPhones or iPods (husband, wife, etc) that also has an Apple device like iPhone or iPad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users