Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I fix this?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KareemPC_Noob

KareemPC_Noob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Hello everyone, i'm new to pc's and have a problem. I can't turn it on because the wires that are connected to the power button are cut off. How do I fix this? The only thing I knoe about this PC is it's processor and OS: AMD Atlon 64 and Windows XP. I also provided a picture for a better idea what to do. I'm very desperate to fix this PC!

-Kareem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KareemPC_Noob

KareemPC_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:20 AM

Sorry, something went wrong, here is the picture.

Attached Files

#3 KareemPC_Noob

KareemPC_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

Bump

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

Is this a generic PC that was custom built or an OEM? If OEM there should be a sticker on the back showing make and model number. If the wires to the power button are cut you can purchase a generic power switch on ebay that attaches to the MB header. Is there any markings on the MB if a custom build?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:15 PM

Looks like you can find a cheaper one on amazon.

#6 KareemPC_Noob

KareemPC_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

It's not custom build, the model number is EL1200 I think, could you give me the link of the generic power button thingt John?
Ah nevermind, Bleeping gave me one, but how do I make sure it works on my PC in particular?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

Trace the wires back to the motherboard. It should end at a 2 pin header. Does the computer look like this. I think you have a emachines computer.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5279675

#8 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

That is a standard push-to-make switch used on the majority of PCs. Most any computer will have the same switch. The reset switch is exactly the same. Grab one or the other from a junk machine.

In the meantime, touching blue to white momentarily will operate the machine. Or, remove the power swich connector from the board header and plug the reset switch in it's place. Use that short term.

Edited by Mike.Tech, 24 June 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#9 KareemPC_Noob

KareemPC_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:40 AM

So this is how the whole PC looks like. So i'm supposed to let the blue and white one touch? There are 2 white wires, wich one should i do? And the green wire; am I supposed to just leave it there?

Attached Files

#10 KareemPC_Noob

KareemPC_Noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

Will it work if I just twist all the wires together and bind the top of the wires together with some kind of tape? Will it turn on?

P.S: Sorry if i'm asking stupid questions, i'm very new to this.

#11 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

No. power switch is a momentary contact. Do as JohnC said and "Trace the wires back to the motherboard. It should end at a 2 pin header." draw or write down what wires go where on yours. I assume the twisted white and green are the power indicator. Don't touch together.

I found a pdf that as far as I can determine, contains the same board yours has. Download and have a look: ftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/CS265A00/SG_PB_iMdS1350.pdf

It doesn't matter that it's packard bell, you're only interested in the board. Page 84 shows the front panel header.

Look like yours at all?

It's never stupid to further your knowledge, Kareem. :)

Edited by Mike.Tech, 25 June 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#12 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:28 AM

The actual model I found is: Boxer Lite AM2 DA061L MB.G1001.001

Not the same as yours, but all you need to try to operate it is touch the blue and white twisted pair together briefly. The switch isn't strictly needed.

Edited by Mike.Tech, 25 June 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

Just want to make this clear. In computers both the power switch and reset switches are Open and are Momentary close. They DO NOT toggle latch closed. As far as the wiring goes you need to trace it back to the motherboards pin header. Usually if you look close enough it will say on the motherboard in fine print what it is. I suggest also lookng up the wiring diagram in the manual or finding a online pdf manual. Now as far as coloring of wires goes, Never assume anything. They are all different in every computer. As you can see here in this example how they are totally different.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/antec_sonata_3_front_system_panel_connectors.jpg

http://www.overclock.net/image/id/7667349

it's obvious In this case with no power and we got two stripped out wires green/white which is the power SW. However, walking into this issue you always trace back and read wiring diagrams. As you can see in the link there are multiple green/white twisted pairs going to the front panel :crazy:

Edited by technonymous, 25 June 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#14 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

Two thumbs up for momentary power and reset switches.

#15 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

it's obvious In this case with no power and we got two stripped out wires green/white which is the power SW.

If it's so obvious, what is the blue/white already connected to one leg of the actual switch?

Two thumbs up for momentary power and reset switches.

Thanks, but no need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users