Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with choosing Linux Mint edition (i.e Cinnamon, KDE etc) and installation

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 The Uprightman

The Uprightman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:48 AM

Hi all,

I am going to need to perform a couple of tasks prior to installation (download the Mint iso for a start and also format a HD for it to be installed upon) so am not in a hurry for a response.

It has been recommended that as a new Linux user I stick to the Ubuntu based distros. One in particular that has been recommended is Linux Mint.

The problem that I have is deciding which edition to install and try (Cinnamon says that it is sleek, modern & innovative, KDE says that it is solid, full featured and polished). Those are all nice words to use to describe the OS but what does it actually mean to the user, what would I get with Cinnamon that I would not get with say, KDE?

Any assistance, advice, tips or thoughts with installation and configuration of Mint would greatly appreciated.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:56 AM

First up can we have your PC specs please.

How much ram?

CPU type?

GPU ( graphics card if any )

The problem that I have is deciding which edition to install and try (Cinnamon says that it is sleek, modern & innovative, KDE says that it is solid, full featured and polished).

You don't have to install anything right away, You can Live boot your PC.  As you had Ubuntu installed I guess you know how to do this?

Once you boot from a Live Disk you can also format the HDD with gparted.

#3 The Uprightman

The Uprightman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:10 AM

RAM..........16GB DDR Corsair Vengeance.

CPU...........i7 4770K

GPU...........Asus/Nvidia GeFrorce GTX 660

Board.........Asus B85M-G

HD.............WD Black 1 TB

Edited by The Uprightman, 24 June 2015 - 02:11 AM.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:23 AM

CPU...........i7 4770K

GPU...........Asus/Nvidia GeFrorce GTX 660

Board.........Asus B85M-G

HD.............WD Black 1 TB

I think you can install pretty much what you want with those specs- as NickAU said- download the .ISO files,burn them to a DVD and run them LIVE.That way you can judge for yourself which one you like better!

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:27 AM

I believe, and correct me if I am wrong guys.  You don't need to format anything until you install.  Then with the install you will format the Partitions you install to, probably the same as the ones you used for first install.  Might as well only format once.

First off, it would be a really good idea to boot up a LiveDVD, open gparted, let it load and post a screenshot of what your partitions look like.  Just don't' muck around with gparted if you don't know what you are doing, just look, take a pic and post it.  It should be included in your distro, but not all.  In MintKDE, it is in Menu>System>use "KDE Partition Manager".

You can also open the terminal and type inxi -Fx to get a nice output of you pc specs if you like, then Copy Paste it here.

With that powerhouse computer you got I would go with MintKDE or KubuntuKDE as some of the other guys here are using.  These are full of customiseable features beyond belief lol.

Mint Mate and Cinnamon are also of the most popular Mint versions.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:27 AM

Oh my that is a monster PC.

Kubuntu | Friendly Computing

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:31 AM

Here is the link to Linux Mint:  http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:33 AM

That is so cool Nick! love this stuff!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 The Uprightman

The Uprightman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:44 AM

NickAU, pcpunk & Paul88ks, thanks for your assistance and advice.

I am going to be busy downloading the Mint iso, formatting and then I am off to get something to eat, so not likely to be back here until about same time tomorrow.

Hopefully I will have an update and something a little more interesting for you experienced Linux users to discuss, consider, think about or look at.

Cheers !

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:56 AM

Nick that is an awesome video!

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:00 AM

This is awesome. Welcome to KDE.

This video not my work

This is my laptop

Edited by NickAu, 24 June 2015 - 04:02 AM.

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

You can do all that with Ubuntu??? Incredible!!

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:02 PM

You can do all that with any Distro including Puppy Linux, And that is part of the beauty of Linux configure it any way you want, The only limit is ones ability.

#14 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:59 PM

You can do all that with any Distro including Puppy Linux, And that is part of the beauty of Linux configure it any way you want, The only limit is ones ability.

Looks like i need to learn a few things!LOL!

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

The Uprightman, hello &  :welcome: to the Linux section of BC Forums! :)

I believe that you meant 'DDR3', when I first seen 'DDR', I was thinking wow have never seen that much of that type of RAM in a computer, though servers likely has that much & more. 

Your CPU is a step up from my main one, mine doesn't have the 'K' beside the 4770. 

I've been running Linux Mint MATE for years & just getting a bit of the taste of Cinnamon. Whether I stick with it won't be determined until Mint 18 is released. KDE just wasn't my cup of tea, we all have our preferences. Though with your hardware, you can run most any Linux OS on the planet, even a home office/small business server type of Linux OS. I know that Ubuntu has one of these, there's likely others. 

My suggestion, is if you have a spare drive, detach your main one & install another & try that way, that gives you the full speed of your computer to play with. Be sure to do the same when trying another OS. One of the negatives about many of the 'K' series is that there's no native support for virtual machines, if that was an option, it's what I'd suggest. Weird, one pays more and gets a little more, yet has to give up a feature to get the OC ability. The i7-4790K, which is on my wish list & hopefully my next major hardware upgrade, kept the VM option in the chip. At 4.0Ghz, with 4.4GHz Turbo, I don't need to OC!

Anyway, I know you're going to find lots of ways to have fun on your hardware, we're here when you are. Always feel free to ask questions, no matter how large or small. The only 'dumb' question is the one not asked when in need, we have all types of experience levels on board here. While I'm not an expert, have ran Linux mostly problem free for over 6 years, so must be doing something right. On the other hand, for the most part, stay with safe tweaks, add no more software than I use, and the first software removed is always Transmission. 

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users