Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux : which web browser is best to use?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 The Uprightman

The Uprightman

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:11 AM

Hi all, 

Given the choice I would always use Firefox, however, when using it with Ubuntu 14.04 I noticed an message relating to an now outdated flash player.

I searched online for more information and found this article (amongst others) http://www.howtogeek.com/193876/using-firefox-on-linux-your-flash-player-is-old-and-outdated/

I have a few questions......

1. Is this a big issue for Linux users and a reason for them to stop using Firefox and find an alternative browser?

2. Could you achieve the same level of security that Firefox provides by using another browser (say for example using Google Chrome where you have settings like "do not allow any sites to run JavaScript", "Block sites from setting any data" etc activated?

3. Why don't Linux users simply use Google Chrome  - why do we have or need something like Chromium?

4. Am I compromising or lessening the security of my pc by using Google Chrome instead of say Chromium or Firefox?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Edited by The Uprightman, 24 June 2015 - 01:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

Hi all, 

Given the choice I would always use Firefox, however, when using it with Ubuntu 14.04 I noticed an message relating to an now outdated flash player.

I searched online for more information and found this article (amongst others) http://www.howtogeek.com/193876/using-firefox-on-linux-your-flash-player-is-old-and-outdated/

I have a few questions......

1. Is this a big issue for Linux users and a reason for them to stop using Firefox and find an alternative browser?

2. Could you achieve the same level of security that Firefox provides by using another browser (say for example using Google Chrome where you have settings like "do not allow any sites to run JavaScript", "Block sites from setting any data" etc activated?

3. Why don't Linux users simply use Google Chrome  - why do we have or need something like Chromium?

4. Am I compromising or lessening the security of my pc by using Google Chrome instead of say Chromium or Firefox?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

As i understand it,Firefox is the main browser for most of the newer Linux distros,however you can use any number of other browsers.I personally use Opera,it works well with Linux,and will not run Adobe Flash without asking first,I'm not sure why,but I think it is a security issue. I use Opera,Firefox,Chrome,Chromium and a couple of others on different distro's I have installed,but my favorite is Opera hands down.

In Linux,there is a great variety to choose from,so whichever is your favorite,feel free to explore!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:30 AM

No. I use Firefox on my Ubuntu and flash is no problem.

Yes, By using things like add blocker pop up blocker and  no script.

Why don't Linux users simply use Google Chrome  - why do we have or need something like Chromium?

Quite a few Linux users use Chrome, A lot of it is personal choice. Google Chrome and Chromium are basically the same thing. Just like PaleMoon, Waterfox, SeaMonkey and a few others are basically Firefox.

No

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:45 AM

More than likely you did not Update your system after install? did you run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" after install?

And before that you will need to activate the firewall "sudo ufw enable"

Browsers are not an issue and the problem was probably no updating was done.  I use many browsers with not issues at all.  I posted on your other thread in the Infected area after you were gone.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 The Uprightman

The Uprightman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:58 AM

More than likely you did not Update your system after install? did you run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" after install?

And before that you will need to activate the firewall "sudo ufw enable"

All above mentioned tasks have been performed - I set up the firewall upon installation of the OS  and checked that it was active by typing sudo ufw status in the terminal.

Updates were checked for each time I used the pc, sudo apt-get update,  sudo apt-get upgrade as well as sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. I also used the software updater and ubuntu tweak to remove unused packages.

Thanks for taking the time to respond regarding the browsers and this issue Pcpunk

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:10 AM

Well maybe this time around you will have better luck.  Seems like something went wrong there that is a bit unusual for linux to be compromised so easily.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 The Uprightman

The Uprightman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:58 AM

Well maybe this time around you will have better luck.  Seems like something went wrong there that is a bit unusual for linux to be compromised so easily.

Human error on my part no doubt - did not have anything protecting my browser other than AdBlockPlus. Was using Google Chrome so no "No Script", signed up with a dodgy business that has a payment processor located in China (very scratchy looking website) that attempted to fraudulently use my cc and went and downloaded a bunch of files that most likely had a nasty payload. 

I do not think I could have done much more than I already have in order to have my pc compromised and made a mess of - lesson learnt.

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

No. I use Firefox on my Ubuntu and flash is no problem.

Yes, By using things like add blocker pop up blocker and  no script.

Why don't Linux users simply use Google Chrome  - why do we have or need something like Chromium?

Quite a few Linux users use Chrome, A lot of it is personal choice. Google Chrome and Chromium are basically the same thing. Just like PaleMoon, Waterfox, SeaMonkey and a few others are basically Firefox.

No

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I personally use Google Chrome as my main browser. Mostly since its syncing option works so well and I use it between multiple Operating Systems and devices.

Installing it on Ubuntu is super easy. You just download it from Google directly and when you open it, it opens in Ubuntu Software Center. Then its just as easy as clicking on "install".

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

The reason that most ditro's come with FireFox is because it is Open Source, in harmony with the Linux License.

Chrome is NOT Open Source.  That is why you have to install it separately, and not from any of the repositories.  It is copy righted and owned by Google.  

Google profits from use of Chrome, regardless of which operating system it is used on.

Ask yourself, "How can a company that has not cost me a penny to use it's services, be worth $1 Trillion US on the world market?"

Chromium is the Open Source browser that Chrome branched from.  

Because it is Open Source, it is available in most distro repositories. (Does that mean that Chrome in only available from a "Suppository?")  :rolleyes:

I believe that Chromium is still community maintained.

It does not have all the tracking and built in "Big Google is Watching" features of Chrome.

Cheers!

Naught

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

The reason that most ditro's come with FireFox is because it is Open Source, in harmony with the Linux License.

Chrome is NOT Open Source.  That is why you have to install it separately, and not from any of the repositories.  It is copy righted and owned by Google.  

Google profits from use of Chrome, regardless of which operating system it is used on.

Ask yourself, "How can a company that has not cost me a penny to use it's services, be worth $1 Trillion US on the world market?"

Chromium is the Open Source browser that Chrome branched from.  

Because it is Open Source, it is available in most distro repositories. (Does that mean that Chrome in only available from a "Suppository?")  :rolleyes:

I believe that Chromium is still community maintained.

It does not have all the tracking and built in "Big Google is Watching" features of Chrome.

Cheers!

Naught

Google watching its users is so true. Same with Apple... Microsoft... and just about any other big organization. It isn't enough to deter me using their products though. Fortunately you can limit things they do get, like with Android you can turn off GPS, etc.

Its whatever really, kind of have to expect it nowadays. The Government watches you, and so does private organizations when you use their products.

I have used chromium as well. It is basically the same thing, you can even log into the google sync option with it.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

Boy - if the government is watching ME- they must be awfully bored!

#12 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:52 PM

if you want to stop that Flash out of date nag

If you type "About:config" into your address bar, (without quotes), press Enter, accept the warning, and then search for plugins.hide_infobar_for_outdated_plugin, you should see a value show up in the window. Double-click it to turn it to True.

From here

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/928456

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:49 AM

Google Chrome for Linux can be downloaded from here, be sure to select the proper version for your installed OS.

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

As an alternative, and having Google Chrome installed also keeps the Flash up to date for this option, there's also Opera for Linux. It detects which OS is running, so no need to choose. 

http://www.opera.com/

EDIT: Some may find that a reboot is needed after installing Opera before it's shown as an option. That's what just happened to me post install. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 25 June 2015 - 02:56 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:12 AM

Opera is included in the Mint Repositories.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:15 AM

Install Google chrome to latest stable release on Ubuntu 15.04, 14.10, 14.04 LTS and 12.04 LTS

First add the google chrome repository using PPA doing this you also receive the latest updates whenever you check for system updates.

$ wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list'

After adding the Google chrome repository

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

And if needed. Install this package to get flash:

sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree 

Edited by NickAu, 25 June 2015 - 04:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users