Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start..and, Another Question!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:06 AM

:thumbsup: First off let me explain that I am just learning about the insides of a computer and how to fix certain things. I am not up on all the computer language that everyone else seems to know. I am trying and I think I'm doing pretty good considering I've taught myself the things I do know. Anyway, if I don't get the parts names right or whatever please try to understand...I'm a 'young' ha.ha. grandmother!
My first question is about a compaq presario 5009cl desktop pc, running windows me. It doesn't start at all. No lights come on, nor does the fan.
I read all the HP site and did all the power supply tests. From what I read there I would think it would be the power supply. But, reading other sites...they say it could be other things as well. So, I'm stuck. I don't want to bother changing the power supply if that isn't what it is. Any ideas on why it won't start?
2nd question regarding the same computer (not mine by the way!): Here I will have to describe what I'm talking about because I don't know the correct part names. .................I need to know about the wiring to the 'power on' button and the 'activity lights(?) next to it. There are 2 wires connected together with a label HD ACT (red and white) and are plugged into one of the lights, 3 wires connected together with a label POWER (green, yellow and black) plugs into the power on light, a blue wire that plugs into the power on button. What I need to know is about the extra orange wire. It must have gotten pulled somehow and I'm not sure what to do with it. I was thinking it would go to the other activity light but the other one has 2 wires. Any ideas?
Sure hope I don't have you all confused cause I could sure use some help with this. Thank you, Teri

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:05 PM

Both the orange and blue wires should be connected to different terminals on the power on button.

#3 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

Thanks! That is the direction the twisted wire was pointing to but I wouldn't chance trying to do anything with it based on my thoughts alone! Only now I have another quick question for you: You answered...
"

Both the orange and blue wires should be connected to different terminals on the power on button.

The blue wire is currently connected to the back of the power on button which is very small. There are no screws or anything like that connecting it so what do I do to attach it? The best way I can describe the back of the button is it is very small and has tiny little pokey things (helpful?) I would think the ends of the wires would slide on the pokey things some how, which I've tried but they don't attach. It took me awhile getting back to you cause I searched everywhere for a site with a picture of the button hookup to use in lieu of my great description but never could find anything. In case after all this you forgot my question above here it is again: There are no screws or anything like that connecting it so what do I do to attach it? Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it!!!!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

Hi, Do you know the make n model of the Case and Motherboard
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:25 AM

Hi, Do you know the make n model of the Case and Motherboard

I will find out what they are and get back. Thank you, Teri

#6 Jus' Mom

Jus' Mom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

Per your lst post: Do you know the make n model of the Case and Motherboard

Here are the spec for this computer. Does this tell you what you were asking about? Thanks, Teri

Compaq Presario 5009CL Desktop PC - Product Specifications

QuickSpecs
Compaq Presario 5009CL
5000 Series Internet PC
Limited Distribution
March 2001
Model COMPAQ PRESARIO 5009CLCompaq Bundled P/N - 233878-001
Bundled with Compaq FS740 17" (16.0" viewable image area) Monitor with JBL Platinum Series Speakers
Standard Features
Dimensions & Weights (W x L x H) Unit: 17.3" x 8.76" x 16.55" (25.3 lbs.)Monitor: 17.67" x 16.4" x 17.75" (37.5 lbs.)Bundled Package: 23.94" x 34.81" x 26.87" (73.0 lbs.)
Processor Intel Pentium III processor - 1000 MHz (1.0 GHz)
System Bus 133 MHz system bus
Cache • 32KB L1 Pipeline Burst Cache• 256KB L2 Pipeline Burst Cache
System Memory 128 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, two total DIMM slots upgradable to 512 MB (SyncDRAM DIMM required)
Hard Drive 60.0 GB UltraDMA Hard Drive
DVD-ROM Drive 10X DVD-ROM Drive
CD-RW Drive 8X CD-RW Drive
Modem 56K ITU V.90 modem
Networking 10/100 Ethernet Networking Card
Multimedia Graphics Direct AGP 3D Graphics with up to 11 MB shared memory• 64-bit hardware-accelerated 3D graphics• Compaq DVD Player/Navigator• Microsoft® DirectShow• Video Player (AVI, MPEG2 and others)• Maximum non-interlaced resolution of up to 1600 x 1200 @ 75 Hz (when supported by monitor)
Audio Integrated ESS Allegro• Audio CD player• Organize and play digital MP3, WMA or personal CD audio files on your PC
Compatibility/Compliance Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)Plug-and-Play
Expansion Slots (Four total) • One PCI slot with modem installed• One PCI slot with networking card installed• Two PCI slots open for expansion
Expansion Bays (Six total) • 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive• Hard drive• DVD-ROM drive• CD-RW drive• Two drive bays open for expansion
I/O Interfaces • Four USB ports (2 front, 2 back)• Serial RS-232C compatible, DB9 connector (16550)• Parallel EPP/ECP standard centronics-compatible interface (DB25 connector)• RJ-11 phone jacks (1 input, 1 output)• RJ-45 Ethernet port• Audio ports (line-in, line-out and microphone-in)• Two PS/2 ports• Monitor connection (VGA)
Power Supply Steady-state 250 watt power supply
Diskette Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive
Mouse Internet Scroll Mouse
Compaq USB Internet Keyboard One-touch buttons

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:13 PM

For the 5009CL
Here is a pdf Manual L@@K
If you look at pps 16 & 15. Innternal connectors J10 then see on pg 15 location

I believe your MOBO is a Mitac 6513WU

Edited by boopme, 09 July 2006 - 03:14 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

has the pin snaped off by chance? it could be that the pin snaped and is stuck in the orange wire connector, which explains why the power button does not work. otherwise the second pin should be right next to the one the blue wire connects to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users