Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How will memory clock speed affect my games?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EdTheN3rd

EdTheN3rd

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

So I was comparing two graphic cards (my current one and the one I want. Here is a link). The memory clock speed on the MSI was 1,250 MHz, and the memory clock speed on the Radeon was 1,625 MHz. The MSI one is the one I want, but it has a slower memory clock speed than the Radeon. I was wondering what affects the memory clock speed has on the games I play. I play COD, GTA V, TF2, CS:GO, and Minecraft.

Edited by EdTheN3rd, 23 June 2015 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

Memory speed isn't everything, plus you can overclock. The R7 isn't even rated at gaming from the page.

I would have said the MSI is the clear performance winner. Downside is noise, heat and power. Lots of it apparently. Read the comments there. That wouldn't do me. I run video at minimum core and mem speed.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:15 AM

Video game performance isn't based entirely on the video card. Depends on the system overall too. How powerful the cpu is, motherboard and it's chipset, memory clocks. Intel is a clear winner, but you have to get into a i5 and for 100 bucks more i7 and gain 10% increase in gaming performance. Then there is the more powerful 6 core intel chips with 12 threads. They're expensive no doubt about it. Performance costs money. However, if a person is on a budget and stuck with the AMD side of things, then you can possibly upgrade from a 4 core to a more powerful FX8350 or higher 8 Core 4 thread cpu. Which is quite a jump going from 4 core. It might suite your needs better. FX chips are also multipler unlocked so there is huge overclocking abilities. This will help with GPU overclocking. If you're stuck with a 4 core with a locked multipler forget about overlocking. You might only get maybe a 3% overclock before GPU goes bonkers and becomes unstable. Also, getting better system memory with that new shiny FX chip. Again with a 4 core cpu you're stuck with 1333mhz bus speed memory. With 8 core cpu's you're getting into 2000+ memory clocks. Buying ram you want to the lowest clas timings. Of course that will cost more money.

Edited by technonymous, 24 June 2015 - 02:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users