Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering Display, and Black Screen after login

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coldon2dreamx

coldon2dreamx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

Computer
"upgraded" Dell Precision T3400
CPU:Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon 7790
HDD:160 GB Maxtor, 320 GB WD, 2TB Seagate (main)
RAM: 800 MHz Dual Channel 4x1 GB ECC
BIOS:Phoenix Rom BIOS Plus Version v1.10 A14

Sorry for poor formatting (no PC atm to use) and lack of full system info(dxdiag/speccy etc)

Symptoms:
-Flickering Display Constantly (losing and regaining signal from GPU)
Also occurs in BIOS Screen
-Blank Screen/No signal from GPU after logging in (immediately or 5-30 seconds after Desktop appears)

Prior Issues
- Cannot wake up from sleep mode 70% of the time with. Mouse or KB (even with Ctrl Alt Del or Win+D)
Results in a black screen but still signal (unresolved)
-Edit: After some research this issue may be caused by Dell's motherboard by the hybrid sleep option in their workstations

Attempted Fixes
-Cleaning the GPU
-Reseated GPU x 4
-Reinstall Drivers
-Switched between HDMI and "DVI to VGA" outputs (TV with HDMI, monitor with DVI-to-VGA)
-Safe Mode (no black screen after login but still flickering display)
-System Restore (undid DirectX Install)
-Artifacting/Distorted colors in several of my reboot attempts- "fixed with driver reinstall"

Afaik there was no windows update or the sort
Could this be hardware or software issue? For one of my reboot attempts I was able to login and use it for around 4 minutes before it froze (the image of the monitor) and lost signal. I appreciate any help!

Edit1: Rebooted again (40th time) after reseating and cleaning motherboard and PCI slots, logged in, and the my screen started flashing random colors (similar to a stuck pixel test), my main concern is everything looks normal without artifacts or color distortions (with the exception of the constant flickering) until after logging in which either produces a black screen or flashing colors and then signal loss.
Edit2:Issue persists even when loading up back up copy Windows 7 (4 months old) from my other drive
Edit3:GPU does not appear to be overheating or has an history of overheating

Edited by coldon2dreamx, 23 June 2015 - 03:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#3 coldon2dreamx

coldon2dreamx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

Could my GPU be failing? Sorry for not including the full info prior, I now reinstalled my old GPU to get it somewhat working. I will attempt to redo these same tests using safe mode and the suspected GPU installed. Many thanks
(this was done after a system restore)
Spoiler

Speccy Snapshot: http://www80.zippyshare.com
/v/o7ceoGQj/file.html

Edit: Everything is fine with my old GPU installed, I am unsure of why the newer GPU is not functioning properly other than it's failing or corrupt drivers (which should not occur as I reinstalled them). Any tips or advice would be helpful, thank you

Edited by coldon2dreamx, 23 June 2015 - 07:03 PM.

#4 coldon2dreamx

coldon2dreamx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:30 PM

***Issue with flickering display is fixed*** Black screen after login is unresolved

This seems to be an software end issue with either Windows Files, Services, or Drivers, I tried several attempts in disabling in increments various services and startup programs and after around ~ 50 ~ boot attempts I was able to have an stable system with most of the services and startup programs enabled only to have the next reboot attempt have the issue reappear (black screen soon after the desktop shows up, and it appears its initiated by clicking on someone (explorer.exe or other Shell Elements)

Tested 4 Various System Restores on Stable Boot Attempts 
Ran Registry Cleaner (to amend some issues to missing files) ) I know the views on registry cleaners but Registry First Aid has helped me resolve and I can confirm driver errors in the past)
Uninstalled possible conflicting software (Air Display and Avast Anti-Virus)

I have included many logs that may help (some of the ntbtlog entries are safemode boots...)

With all services enabled I cannot even load login screen (Black Screen)
EDIT: Video showing the problem (black screen) Screen goes black soon after navigating GUI (only when i can successfully load the desktop w/o blackscreen)
https://youtu.be/aPNcTDR0ICg

Attached Files

Edited by coldon2dreamx, 25 June 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#5 coldon2dreamx

coldon2dreamx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

I have narrowed down the issue, it appears to be with the AMD Graphics Driver. Ivey ave tried AMD drivers v14.12 14.4 and 15.6 beta and all of the them are causing the same problem. The I do remember installing DirectX 9c just before this problem appeared, could it be causing me display to black screen soon after the desktop loads and before the login screen shows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users