Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 not loading profiles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geeneeree

geeneeree

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:52 PM

I have a win 7 Dell laptop.  Everything has been ok until the other day.  Tried to boot up, and it hangs right before putting up the profile icons.  Everything seems to load normally and does not give any error messages... just stops on the profile screen, but no icons to choose from.  

I have put in a system disk, tried the Last Known Good Configuration, but it still comes to the same blue profile screen (not the BSD) without the icons.  Touchpad is available to move cursor but no icons to choose from to go any farther.  

The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

Can you do a system restore from that disk? 

#3 geeneeree

geeneeree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

It's been trying to do a restore... after choosing for it to find the last good configuration it sat an hour doing what i thought was nothing... then all of a sudden it popped up a window for me to do a restore... no way to tell it was even trying... so it's been scanning and scanning, looking to do a Startup Repair and looking for problems... but so far it's still scanning and it's been over an hour... i'm going to just let it run for now, even if it's overnight... if it's still scanning in the morning i'll shut it down and put the HD in my other laptop to see if i can at least get the data off... if anyone has any ideas, i'd appreciate it... i haven't seen this problem listed anywhere, EVER!

The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

#4 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

It's been trying to do a restore... after choosing for it to find the last good configuration it sat an hour doing what i thought was nothing... then all of a sudden it popped up a window for me to do a restore... no way to tell it was even trying... so it's been scanning and scanning, looking to do a Startup Repair and looking for problems... but so far it's still scanning and it's been over an hour... i'm going to just let it run for now, even if it's overnight... if it's still scanning in the morning i'll shut it down and put the HD in my other laptop to see if i can at least get the data off... if anyone has any ideas, i'd appreciate it... i haven't seen this problem listed anywhere, EVER!

Good plan.  After that, I'd say boot to the disk once more, open a command prompt window and run the sfc /scannow command:  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

After that, assuming you're able to get your data backed up, I'd come to the conclusion in your shoes that Windows is just too corrupt and just blow it up and do a fresh install. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#6 geeneeree

geeneeree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

Sorry, Louis, i can't even get to the desktop... the icons to choose the profile to load aren't available... 

Thanks, dudeage... i'll go to the link and read up on the sfc-scannow thingy... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users