Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange battery behavior in brand new notebook

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lordoftheidiots

lordoftheidiots

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:59 AM

I purchased this notebook just yesterday.
When the notebook is ON and Windows is running, it charges fine.
When the notebook is OFF, it still charges fine, the LED indicator for charging is lit up.
BUT if i turn the charger OFF and back ON (when the notebook itself is OFF) 2 or 3 times in quick succession, the charging stops. The LED stays OFF.

To resume charging, i have to

(1) Open the lid/ display. The moment I open the display, the charging indicator lights up and charging resumes.

(2) Or I have to unplug the chrger from the notebook (notebook end) and plug it back in.

(3) Or I have to power off the charger, keep it powered off for like 10 minutes or so, and then turn it on (the charger, not the notebook) again.

Troubleshooting steps tried so far:

1>Updated BIOS, problem persists.

2>Restored BIOS defaults, problem persists.

3>Power-cycled notebook (powered it off, removed battery, unplugged charged, pressed and held power button on the notebook for 30 seconds), problem persists.

4>Let battery charge to 100%, then let battery drain until the computer shut down, and charged it again to 100%, but the problem is still present.

Is this normal?

Notebook is HP Envy K203TX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

BUT if i turn the charger OFF and back ON (when the notebook itself is OFF) 2 or 3 times in quick succession, the charging stops. The LED stays OFF.

Okay my first question is why are we turning the charger on and off in quick succession??  If it works fine without doing this?

If I were to guess I would think that the charging unit in the laptop is detecting a possible power problem (surge / brownout) from your turning on and off the charger and stopping the charge or it is confusing the charging circuits by detecting AC on AC off Ac on.....

Just a guess.  It would seem normal behavior to me.

Reminds me of that old doctors joke'  :

Patient- DOC DOC my arms hurt when I flap them up and down like a bird !!!

DOC- Stop flapping your arms up and down like a bird....

Edited by YeahBleeping, 23 June 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#3 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

Okay my first question is why are we turning the charger on and off in quick succession??  If it works fine without doing this?   If I were to guess I would think that the charging unit in the laptop is detecting a possible power problem (surge / brownout) from your turning on and off the charger and stopping the charge or it is confusing the charging circuits by detecting AC on AC off Ac on.....   Just a guess.  It would seem normal behavior to me.   Reminds me of that old doctors joke'  :   Patient- DOC DOC my arms hurt when I flap them up and down like a bird !!!   DOC- Stop flapping your arms up and down like a bird....

+1

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

+2 

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 lordoftheidiots

lordoftheidiots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

Thanks,

Well, I noticed this by accident. When I was connecting the notebook for the first time, there was a loose connection and the notebook stopped charging.

Then I switched to a different power outlet, this time there's no loose connection, but I can simulate this situation by the power on/ power off cycle.

We're turning it On/Off just to test the notebook behavior in this situation, we won't be doing this in real life of course :P

If this is the power monitoring circuit detecting a power surge and stopping the charge process, I'd assume the same behavior would persist even when the notebook is powered on and running Windows?

But it does not. When it is running Windows, no matter how many times i cycle On Off On Off On Off (I did this 20 times to check), i can't reproduce the issue, it will charge EVERY single time i turn the power back on. But when it's OFF (IMPORTANT: And the lid is closed), the On/Off cycle triggers this conditin in just two or three tries!

I have tried this with my two other devices:

1> HP Probook 4530S Notebook

AND

2> Microsoft Lumia 925 phone.

The issue cannot be reproduced in any of these other devices as well.

I just want to make sure I didn't get a bad product.

If this is a design feature, it's okay.

If this is a failure, i'll be very disappointed in HP. I spent $1200.99 and got a faulty product :(

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

If this is the power monitoring circuit detecting a power surge and stopping the charge process, I'd assume the same behavior would persist even when the notebook is powered on and running Windows?

I would say No.  When the laptop is powered on the charging circuit would work differently.  Windows takes over the power management when powered on.  Most likely windows does detect the power charge failure and simply switches to battery power when you turn it off and on and ignores the charging circuit.  You MAY be able to see an event in the system event viewer.

I am not going to pretend I know for sure and the only way to know if this is normal behavior I would think would be to have two of the exact same laptops and see if they both do the same thing.  I would suffice it to say that it is probably normal behavior and urge you to stop freaking out your charging circuit by deliberately simulating power loss during charge you may be doing harm to your battery.

#7 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:05 AM

No power supply should be rapidly cycled like that, least of all a switch-mode like your laptop charger. You risk blowing the internal fuse, if not the device itself. it's bad practice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users