Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD's that are compatible with my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sayem98

sayem98

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:13 AM

Bit of a rookie here but recently my HDD has been making ticking noises and has taken hours to simply load. Obviously the hard drive is slowly dying which is why I need a replacement asap. My laptop is a samsung notebook (model number NP300E5A)
I was wondering if this HDD is compatible with my laptop http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitachi-HGST-500gb-Drive-Laptop/dp/B003ZFLOD4
please feel free to add any other better HDDs? and all input would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 June 2015 - 12:46 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to Internal Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:24 AM

As long as the interface of the old drive is SATA you are okay with the amazon drive. The thing to watch out for is the thickness. If the Samsung drive is 9.5mm thick you may need to add a paper shim on the drive in order for it to connect correctly to the motherboard.

If you have an ebay account you can get a 1TB drive for approx the same price. Edit: confirm with the seller what thickness the drive is.

Edit Edit: I can confirm that the below drive is 9.5mm thick. If your samsung drive is 7mm then it will not work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-Travelstar-1TB-Internal-Hard-Drive-7200-RPM-SATA-III-2-5-PS4-PS3-/171823443122

Because the drive is clicking, you may need to purchase a new OS unless the laptop came with Windows 8.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#3 sayem98

sayem98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:31 PM

As long as the interface of the old drive is SATA you are okay with the amazon drive. The thing to watch out for is the thickness. If the Samsung drive is 9.5mm thick you may need to add a paper shim on the drive in order for it to connect correctly to the motherboard.

If you have an ebay account you can get a 1TB drive for approx the same price. Edit: confirm with the seller what thickness the drive is.

Edit Edit: I can confirm that the below drive is 9.5mm thick. If your samsung drive is 7mm then it will not work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hitachi-Travelstar-1TB-Internal-Hard-Drive-7200-RPM-SATA-III-2-5-PS4-PS3-/171823443122

Because the drive is clicking, you may need to purchase a new OS unless the laptop came with Windows 8.

alright i see so i should only watch out for the thickness of my current HDD and yes ill definitely look on ebay.

I will check for the thickness of my hdd later onwards today but the new HDD im going to buy pretty much has to be SATA and have the same thickness and thats it? or am i missing something

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

Yes, it would need to have the same interface, SATA or IDE. The 7mm drive would work if the original was 9.5mm but not the other way around. You may have to add a shim if the original was 9.5mm and the drive you purchase is 7mm.

#5 sayem98

sayem98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

Yes, it would need to have the same interface, SATA or IDE. The 7mm drive would work if the original was 9.5mm but not the other way around. You may have to add a shim if the original was 9.5mm and the drive you purchase is 7mm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152289

this is the bad HDD on my laptop, can you guys recommend me a good HDD that is compatible with my laptop? UK here :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

I have a Samsung NP305E5A laptop...what John stated is what I would suggest.  The hard drive specs must state that it is the Thin model...and it's a 2.5-inch SATA drive, the amount of storage space available is up to you.

Amazon seems to have a number of said drives.

Louis

#7 sayem98

sayem98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seagate-Momentus-Thin-ST250LT003-250GB-2-5-Internal-SATA-Hard-Drive-/181776448693

Thanks for the replies, did a bit of research and was wondering if the HDD I've chosen is appropriate for my laptop?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:03 PM

Looks OK...have you even taken a look at the hard drive currently in place?  If not, I suggest you do so.  If it's like mine, it's in a little metal enclosure for which you will have to remove screws.

Louis

#9 sayem98

sayem98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:21 PM

Looks OK...have you even taken a look at the hard drive currently in place?  If not, I suggest you do so.  If it's like mine, it's in a little metal enclosure for which you will have to remove screws.

Louis

I will do soon yes but the HDD is compatible with my laptop right? Don't wanna spend money for nothing

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

As hamluis posted take the drive out of your computer and you should have a sticker on it showing the model number of the drive. Post the make and model number on the sticker. When you do this remove the power adapter and battery first. Ground yourself by touching bare metal on the computer before removing the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#11 sayem98

sayem98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

sorry for the extremely late reply, was on a holiday and was usually out

now that the holidays have started, i really wanna replace this crappy HDD thats causing 5 hours to load

I downloaded HWINFO and the exact brand my HDD is an Seagate ST500LM012 HN-M500MBB

if anyone can directly link me to any replacements matching the specifications of my hard drive atm that'd be awesome
(ebay/amazon)
thanks a lot guys!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:16 AM

http://www.amazon.com/ST500LM012-HN-M500MBB-2AR10002-Seagate-500GB/dp/B00MBM6YVY

Louis

#13 sayem98

sayem98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:15 PM

i see that this is my HDD but arent there any in the market with similar specifications that are cheaper? because this is pricy

thank you

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

Look for yourself...Amazon has tons of different hard drives...I'm sure one of them will fit whatever it is that you are looking for.

Louis

#15 sayem98

sayem98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2015 - 03:35 PM

Look for yourself...Amazon has tons of different hard drives...I'm sure one of them will fit whatever it is that you are looking for.

Louis

I have already tried looking but I'm not confidennt on which to buy, which is why I came here to ask an expert or someone who's knowledgable in this field. That's why I'm looking for an alternative HDD and I'm wary if it'll be compatible or not.

If anyone can post a HDD with similar specs to my current HDD youd be my saviour as my HDD has officially stopped working today lol

Edited by sayem98, 24 July 2015 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users