Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have some questions on Ariva antivirus 2015 free

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mrjohncougar

Mrjohncougar

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hi

Hate to post because i have bad grammar and I usually use the forum of the product. Arivas' new forum stinks. So I need to change my antivirus.I'm using Ariva 2012 and support is going to run out. I kept it because Im looking for a low resource antivirus and Ariva 2012 uses 17-22mgs whether I'm idle or web browsing.. I'm not going to find something that low. My main concerns are, One web browsing speed and two security. I know,what your thinking, how can I use an old antivirus and say that. I have malwarebyes free,comodo cleaning essentials,hitman pro on my usb amoung others. I'm down to the choices of Avast 2015 free,Ariva 2015 free, and Panda 2015 free. Bitdefender has been quarantining good files and users can't get them back or that would be the first one. Ok first ariva question, is there still the problem with Ariva of the BSOD on install? And second can I turn off any feature to gain resources without giving up security. I would be very thankful if i get a response or two. I know this isn't urgent,but Im stuck. I have spent too much wasted time on the Ariva forum site.

Thanks Much

Edited by Mrjohncougar, 23 June 2015 - 01:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

I have not heard any recent reports with Avira throwing a BSOD on install. avast free is good but a bit heavy if you are looking for something lite on resources. That leaves Panda but the free version includes pop-up ads prompting users to upgrade just like most other available free alternatives.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Mrjohncougar

Mrjohncougar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Thanks, but i know I'll have a problem with avasts web guard, as soon as the web browsers launch resources shoot way up. Bitdefender was my top choice but you can't go by ratings, you have to look at reviews and i go to the forums. In bitdefenders case there's alot of ticked off people on the forum that have lost valuable file and can't get them back.. My daughter has ariva free 2015, it uses 40-50mgs onidle or not. I have not seen the computer in sleep mode so maybe that drops after the computer sleeps? I just don't like the company but if it fits the bill I'll use it. Anyone else? I might try panda first.I keep my computer all the time and some antiviruses resources lower  when the computer comes out of  sleep mode. I'll listen to anyone.I just don't pay for software. THANKS

Edited by Mrjohncougar, 24 June 2015 - 11:12 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

... I'll listen to anyone.I just don't pay for software.

Unfortunately that limits your available choices and eliminates the use of two or our most recommended anti-virus solutions like ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

#5 Mrjohncougar

Mrjohncougar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

In 2008 I bought the best rated spyware,malware product, every one rated it number one. And it missed so many infections that i said, with a free product i can change at will, with a paid product I can't  and it wasn't the first paid sofware to let me down. So no I won't pay for software and I know that I'm missing some good antivirues. If i was to buy a antivirus it  would be kaspersky antivirus. I would never use Emsisoft anti malware, It"s a huge download file, it  uses super high resources  and It misses alot. I've uses the free version before. Thanks any way. I again this is only my opinion. Wish I had more input but i know my questions are not high priority.

Edited by Mrjohncougar, 24 June 2015 - 11:13 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:24 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. Every security vendor's lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Emsisoft has come a long way in the past few years. Agreed it has a large setup file to download but I find it very light on resources once installed.

#7 Mrjohncougar

Mrjohncougar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

I'm not gong to debate you because I don't use it any more so maybe things have changed. I wsh someone have Ariva 2015 free and could answer the two questions. I think odds are the BSOD isn't happening any more,  But I know it slows down my daughters computer so I don't know . I'm uncomfortable installing and uninstalling three or four antiviruses.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:13 PM

I wasn't trying to engage in a debate so I apologize if my comments came across that way. If the BSODS are no longer occurring, then I wouldn't worry about it for now, especially if you are satisfied with Avira. If they return, you can always post for assistance in our Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support Forum.

As for turning off features, you could disconnect from the Internet and experiment to see if disabling anything makes a difference.

#9 Mrjohncougar

Mrjohncougar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

No no it's been a long time since i used Emsisoft antimalware and I didn't want to sound like a expert. If the resource usage has gone down that's great because that's why I got rid of the free version.. I still stock the emergency kit on my usb. You have been a gentlemen and I must say a great moderator. Wish other forums had a moderator as good as you. Again thanks for the feed back.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

You are quite welcome.

#11 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

thanks for the information @quietman7. Helped me a lot too :P

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:48 AM

You're welcome.

#13 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:19 AM

thanks a lot for the knowledge on ariva antivirus 2015. Comparing to my AVG. I think mine gives a lot more better security for the pro (paid) version at a lower cost. 

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:42 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users