Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server emergency

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Djbackpain

Djbackpain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:29 AM

I have a client with a poweredge 2900, very old 4gb ram, 80gb drives but a Xeon processor. I am replacing it with a prominent dl360 g8. The poweredge is server 2008 r2 and the new one is 2012. The problem is the old one is literally about to go into critical failure and the client can't really spare the downtime of a server migration right now. Obviously I can't just take the drives out of the old machine and slap them in the new server, but you think about the fact we have a robot on Mars sending us pictures but we can't invent the technology to do that or invent a software to do a 100 percent active directory, domain controller, user info, shared drive and security info migration, so what is the fastest way to do this. I was thinking of cloning the old drive and running a virtual machine on the new server, would that work? And more importantly would that be the fastest way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

Is the old server running Active Directory?

Backups?

If the server is about to die you need to work during business off hours.

Fastest in my opinion if running AD would be to join the new server to the forest.  Once AD has replicated xfer over the roles. All this can be done during business hours with little impact on the network.  Restore the data from the old server to the new, and then point everyone to the new data source. 

#3 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

This might help out: Bare-metal, system state recovery in Windows Server 2008 R2

Would sysprep not be an option?

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:23 PM

I would do what wanderer has advised, it shouldnt take longer than a  day and you could be doing this all during work hours.

The only last thing would be to edit GPO's (WSUS maybe) and mapped drives and printers (Including new print drivers). Then make sure everyone reboots (Or change the refresh times of the GPUdate times through a GPO to ensure thye have recieved the new policys before rebooting).

Transfere the FSMO roles etc over to new server and force replication with repadmin or use Sites & services.

Change DNS pointers and DHCP etc etc, its the quickest way for sure and if its done right, after a reboot they would be none the wiser.

#5 Djbackpain

Djbackpain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:40 PM

Active directory
Shared drives
Domain server
Back ups

So the VMware clone image not a good idea? Seems the fastest but most problematic

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:52 PM

Sure mate you could install ESXi 5.* and then clone the machine and import into a vmware enviroment, but are you not upgrading the domain controller to 2012 (Use the money from the 2012 purchase and buy ESXi 5)?

if you want to leave it as 2008R2 then just use vmware convertor to convert the physical to virtual and make sure its set for infurstructure.

You can covert straight to the ESXi server usign vmware convertor as well.

This would mean minimal downtime i guess but remember before starting it, turn the Vmware NIC off on the virtual to make sure it starts and works before turning the old server off.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 23 June 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#7 gftd

gftd

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

It can be done. First, you need to make Windows Server 2008 R2 system state backup to an external hard drive or share it on NAS so that you cn do an unversal restore to restore the old system to the new one. we may do the system backup or disk backup with Windows Server Backup, but it has many shortcomings and you can read more here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770266(v=ws.10).aspx   in case of that, here recommend you to use a third party software AOMEI Backupper Server to backup the whole drive or the system state backup.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

system state backup has nothing to do with a bare metal restore from an image.

system state is only good for example if you have a software install that goes bad you can use the system state to restore the server to preinstall.

#9 Djbackpain

Djbackpain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

I'm going to try easeus server addition...they claim you can clone and restore to dissimilar hardware...I'm worried about the raid driver though

#10 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:38 AM

Why not use Hyper-V and the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter? It supports Server 2008 R2 and there's no additional licensing, assuming you are running Server 2012 Standard or better (i.e. anything other than essentials) on your new server.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn873998.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42497

Edited by zcomputerwiz, 27 July 2015 - 08:41 AM.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users