Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 x64 Boot Delay - RPCSS scvhost

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Juice91

Juice91

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Hello,
Immediately following the Starting Windows splash screen and before the welcome/logon screen I experience a 40ish second delay; a black screen with a cursor. I have been attempting to fix this for quite some time and this is my last resort. There is no difference in safe mode, clean boot, etc. Tried every reasonable suggestion I could find to no avail. A boot trace has revealed that "RPCSS svchost" is taking the majority of the time (see screenshot). I have no idea where to go from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4Iul1eDpkHdKqMN3Vi5Vwkj

Screenshot of RPCSS issue: https://i.imgur.com/doIwtrB.png
doIwtrB.png

Thank you!

-Justin

Edited by Juice91, 23 June 2015 - 06:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:15 AM

How long has this been occuring for?  I would try a system restore. 

#3 Juice91

Juice91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

That is out of the question, it has been occurring far too long to attempt that. However I know for certain that it has not always been like this, as you can see in the speccy I have an ssd-used to get 7 second boot times.

I was hoping someone knows exactly what the rpcss service is supposed to be doing/look like beyond what I have found in Google searches-i have not found much about anyone else having this issue.

#4 Juice91

Juice91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:16 PM

I hope all is not lost with this issue.

#5 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

Run sfc /scannow according to these instructions:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

After that I would just backup your data and reinstall Windows if that doesn't work. 

#6 Juice91

Juice91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

sfc was one of the first things that I tried, sadly did not help. Reinstalling windows seems excessive and unnecessary when I have the issue isolated like this.

#7 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

sfc was one of the first things that I tried, sadly did not help. Reinstalling windows seems excessive and unnecessary when I have the issue isolated like this.

I understand what you're saying, but really the only alternative is to uninstall that particular file, get a windows reinstall disk, find that 1 particular file on the disk, copy it over, and hope that the file is not essential to running Windows in the meantime (which means it may or may not screw up your current copy of Windows if it gets deleted). 

Trying to find individual system files is often a wild goose chase, so although I agree with on the face of it it seems excessive, the alternative is even worse.   

If you're willing to risk it you can go on the particular file level, but it's probably easier and faster just to reinstall Windows. 

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:36 PM

Interesting

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/attacksignatures/detail.jsp?asid=20445

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#9 Juice91

Juice91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

That is a very interesting find thank you for sharing! There does not seem to be a time-stamp on that post, but judging by the fact that vista and up is not mentioned I feel that it may be dated. Still, I wonder if something similar could be going on here. 

I understand what you're saying, but really the only alternative is to uninstall that particular file, get a windows reinstall disk, find that 1 particular file on the disk, copy it over, and hope that the file is not essential to running Windows in the meantime (which means it may or may not screw up your current copy of Windows if it gets deleted). 

Trying to find individual system files is often a wild goose chase, so although I agree with on the face of it it seems excessive, the alternative is even worse.   

If you're willing to risk it you can go on the particular file level, but it's probably easier and faster just to reinstall Windows. 

I may just attempt that. Just "rpcss.dll" then? Seems that there are 3 in my Windows folder: ufPhVIL.png

All the same file and therefore should be replaced by rpcss on an install disc? Or do they slightly different; the one is 497KB oddly. 

#10 SomeHelpNeededAgain

SomeHelpNeededAgain

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:15 AM

Having the same issue here.

Did you ever resolve it? 

#11 Juice91

Juice91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

Having the same issue here.

Did you ever resolve it? 

No I have not. I have tried everything suggested: I replaced the specific files by booting from external media; after that didn't work I tried a full repair install, didn't help either. May be something installed on my machine that is causing this, however I have given up. Too much time spent on this already. If anyone finds a fix I'd appreciate it if they let me know.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Have you tried running a startup repair?

Repair Windows 7 Using the Startup Repair Tool - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users