Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes and Linux

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:20 AM

I know that technically Itunes does not support Linux,but I am wondering if anyone has found a way to make it work with Linux- maybe through a Windows Virtual Machine?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:39 AM

You could absolutely play it in a windows virtual machine. Though, in my experience (which isn't a whole lot of it) iTunes is a resource hog, so you may need to give more than normal for the virtual machine. It should, in theory, work fine though.

You could always try installing it in Wine as well... but I bet it doesn't work well that way. If you can even get it installed correctly in Wine.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

You could always try installing it in Wine as well...

I tried that once and no joy.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

You could always try installing it in Wine as well...

I tried that once and no joy.

Not surprising. It is in fact an Apple product... then couple that with a Windows emulator, and you get a small explosion.  :flame:

Edited by DeimosChaos, 23 June 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

Here are the instructions, It installs but I couldn't get my Ipod to sync.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1688221

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:19 PM

You could absolutely play it in a windows virtual machine. Though, in my experience (which isn't a whole lot of it) iTunes is a resource hog, so you may need to give more than normal for the virtual machine. It should, in theory, work fine though.

You could always try installing it in Wine as well... but I bet it doesn't work well that way. If you can even get it installed correctly in Wine.

I tried it in Wine- didn't even get a buzz- I have a pretty powerful computer with 12 gigs of ram,so I should be able to run a VM with no problem,as soon as I learn how to do that- I'm sure Cat and a few other members here can lead me in the right direction to set up a VM with Win7

#7 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

Just convert all your Itunes to Flac  or MP3 and play them

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Just convert all your Itunes to Flac  or MP3 and play them

Shadow- I can do that easily enough- personally i like to convert all my music files back to .WAV so they don't sound compressed.Most people can't tell the difference,but I can.

However,that isn't the problem.I can boot into my Windows machine to download my music,but I am trying to be able to do it in Linux.For one reason,I don't want to have to boot into another OS to download the tunes,and secondly, I have a friend who wants to try a Linux distro,who also uses Itunes,but he invariably can not seem to run a Windows machine without screwing it up,so that is why I am trying to get it to work in Linux either by Wine or by VM. If I can get him to use Linux Mint or some other drop-in for Windows,he won't be calling me all the time to fix his computer-which is on a regular basis.So ,I guess I have an ulterior motive going on here.!

#9 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

A bit late... Not tried it myself (as I don't own an iPod) but players like ​Banshee, Clementine, gtkpod... support iPod till 4th generation.

From gtkpod:

Status of Supported Hardware

ipod shuffle / ipod mini / ipod classic

• All should work ​
ipod nano
  • Up to and including the 4th generation should work
  • The ipod nano 5th generation works if one song is added with itunes first
  • The ipod nano 6th generation CANNOT be written to unless a binary-only blob is used ​
iphone / ipod touch
  • Up to and including the 3rd generation if one song is added with itunes first ​
iOS devices up to and including iOS4
  • CANNOT be written to unless a binary-only blob is used ​
iOS5+
  • Not supported at all due to hashing issues and a whole lot of new code to write to be able to do the sync.

​For newer iPods you can check: Sync an ipod 5g or 6g in ubuntu with banshee ​(in Spanish. If needed, use a translator)

An iTunes clone is aTunes. Not tried it myself so don't know if it has any Sync function or it's just the GUI that's cloned.

iTunes on a Virtual Machine should work, too.

Edited by nuna, 21 August 2015 - 06:15 AM.

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:38 PM

Well - i tried ti install Itunes via Wine with no luck and by running Windows 7 in a virtual Machine- got a little farther on with that -but still had errors when trying to download music.

I'm not that knowledgeable about VM or VBox so maybe i will try again soon!

i wish Itunes would come up with a format for Linux,bas of now -they have not!

Edited by paul88ks, 21 August 2015 - 03:40 PM.

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:32 PM

Well - i tried ti install Itunes via Wine with no luck and by running Windows 7 in a virtual Machine- got a little farther on with that -but still had errors when trying to download music.

I'm not that knowledgeable about VM or VBox so maybe i will try again soon!

i wish Itunes would come up with a format for Linux,bas of now -they have not!

Shouldn't be all that hard either! The native format for iTunes is unix based!!

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:07 AM

well i was doing some Googling and found a program called PlayonLinux which is in the repository and works with Wine- but when i tried to install it - Wine crashed- so -back to Square one!

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:04 AM

I run iTunes 12.1 in a VM (just upgraded recently to 12.2 or what-ever it the current release is), but I don't use it for much. It does crash for some features that connect to ones Apple Account (eg: iTunes Match, managing hidden purchases), but I have the same problem regardless of whether it's run in a VM or on a physical machine (tried 2 different physical machines, and multiple VMs). In recent years iTunes seems to have been getting buggier and buggier. To make things worse, they've totally ruined the once beautiful GUI. I was really hoping 12.2 was going to fix some of these stability issues, fingers crossed for the next release I guess. :P I've been reducing my usage ever since 11 came out, but still use it on occassion. Currently I have an iTunes Match subscription that I haven't been able to use, won't be re-subbing to that next year. I used to use iTunes Match in my VM without issue. I think part of the problem must be on Apple's end, because 10.7 used to work fine for me, and at present it suffers from all the same issues. Oh well.

#14 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:14 AM

Well - I can live with having to use it on Win 10-  I wish I had it on my laptop- for on the go musi reasons- as you probably know by now,I am a professional musician and most of my peers have the Itunes hook in their jaw- so i guess i will continue to use it on my WinX machine and just transfer them to my linux machine(s).

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

well i was doing some Googling and found a program called PlayonLinux which is in the repository and works with Wine- but when i tried to install it - Wine crashed- so -back to Square one!

I use Play on Linux for various games. Works pretty well. Takes out the some times annoying wine setup since it does it all for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users