Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Associations Are Not Being Read

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dismaker

dismaker

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

Every critical program, all spyware and anti-virus programs, system tools(msconfig, system restore, regedit e.g.) & installed applications give me a windows message that says "Windows cannot open this file:" and then asks me to select from either the Web service or to select from a list an associated programs. All have been dead ends so far....I just need to rebuild some of the .exe fields to get into the data to transfer to my external hard drive so I can do a restore. Interestingly enough, if I have a file saved from the program, such as an Excel or Act file, the program will start when prompted by the file. I just cannot start these critical files directly. If I could restore, I think I can reverse the problem. If I could install a prior registry, this may work. I have had ComputerGeeks out, ($370 for nothing) and they performed a Windows repair (of course I only was supplied a restore CD with the comp), and also attempted to use msconfig.exe files from a cd, but the file associations were still not recognized. Of course all the icons (except for file folders, Explorer and a few others, are gone & replaced with the window inna page unknown icon icon.

The core issue was that this computer was infected cws_ns3, which I was detecting and removing with Spysweeper when it was active. The trojan however, could never be found. When activated, it would unload my Ad-Watch. Upon reloading, I would need to reset all the program settings. The last time I made a mistake, choosing the option to have to manually block eack popup/spyware that AdWatch detected. I think like 475 would need to be blocked (or the same ones cycling) & I accepted a bad one by mistake, and then bingo, I am wishing the faces of the slime that spread these viruses would melt off as they watch in the mirror. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Gary

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

Run Step9 of this procedure to see if you can fix the problem. I'd also suggest looking at all of the other steps because I, personally, don't have a bunch of faith in the Spysweeper program.

Here's the link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/remove-home-search-assistant/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users