Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

File with question mark before the OS loads and Srartup Disc issue.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

I have read elsewhere the file with the question mark isn't a good thing to be seen when starting a Mac but of what I have read that applies to  the file icon with the question mark in it staying on and the OS not loading, where my issue is different in that I get that symbol momentarily before I get the apple symbol, is this something to worry about ?

Also I notice in my Startup Disk I have two icons, one being the Mac OS X 10.6.8 on Macintosh HD and the other is an icon with a question mark on top of it where that icon is labelled; Network Startup and Network Startup is selected as the startup disk.

With the report ; You have selected to search for a network disc at startup

What of the two icons should be selected for the Mac to start from ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:37 AM

This happens if you in the past unselect the startup disc. 

You also can try to select the startup disk if you boot into recovery mode. Hold the keys Command + R down during start up (before you hear the startup sound).

This will start the Recovery Mode. If you are in this environment go to the top left corner to the apple symbol and click on it. From there you can choose the startup disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users