Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kali linux installer wont see unallocated space to partition.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

Trying to install kali linux but it says that the unallocated space is not usable, it is 50gb of data that came from me shrinking an ntfs-formatted, which had worked on other computers in which i have installed kali.

Edited by computerxpds, 23 June 2015 - 07:19 AM.
Moved to Linux from Windows 8-8.1

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

Not familiar with Kali and am not qualified to help but, it will server you well if you post up some info. at least a screenshot of your drives, can you do that with KaliLiveDisc via gparted, or on your windows side?

In Kali you could open Terminal and type "inxi -Fx" without the quotes and a space between i and - .  That will give a nice output for all your basic pc info.

I really like a gparted screenshot personally for this, as I have ADD lol.  But in your case starting a new thread and all maybe go with the inxi -Fx.

Is this the pc in question: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-3970X Hexa-core (6 Core) 3.50 GHz Processor?

Edited by pcpunk, 23 June 2015 - 05:23 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

At what stage does the installer say that the unallocated space is unusable?

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:06 AM

But in your case starting a new thread and all maybe go with the inxi -Fx.

Why another Topic? That's what this new one just 4 posts deep is about, getting Kali installed. 

As long as there's less than 4 Primary partitions on the drive (if MBR), I don't see why Kali can't be installed, and the number goes much higher with GPT formatting. Most all Linux OS's can be installed on logical partitions, even the root or main one, if there are 3 primaries in use already. 

This would be a great starting point, along with a snapshot, if possible. 

Also, it's possible that if the computer has Secure Boot, it may need to be disabled prior to install, some Linux distros has no signed keys for the install. I'm adding this because am just noticing this was moved from the Windows 8/8.1 section to here. 

One's computer will run just fine with Secure Boot disabled. In itself, it does nothing to protect the user from malware on the Windows partitions, security software along with responsible browsing habits is the best prevention to keep infections away. Another thing, Secure Boot may prevent some legit software or hardware drivers from installing because they're unsigned, all the more reason to disable it in the BIOS. This does not imply that it's safe to install a lot of unsigned software/drivers, if possible, this should be avoided. At the same time, I realize that not all unsigned software & drivers poses a threat. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 25 June 2015 - 03:17 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:17 AM

This would be a great starting point, along with a snapshot, if possible.

Indeed. The Debian installer (which is what Kali has) has a "screenshot" button.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:28 AM

Why another Topic? That's what this new one just 4 posts deep is about, getting Kali installed. 

Cat

You probably realized by now but I think I said this because this started in Windows 8.1 Forum.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:56 PM

At the partitioning stage, also the disk is not dynamic. i cannot get a sc atm

ooh, i have a signature

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

Cat

You probably realized by now but I think I said this because this started in Windows 8.1 Forum.

No, I didn't see where you said that in your post above (#2), yet I now see it was transferred over, must have been some of it not shown, there's nothing in this one about the CPU mentioned. 

Sorry, I was working with a couple of Topics & had another forum related issue to deal with and I didn't catch it. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

At the partitioning stage, also the disk is not dynamic. i cannot get a sc atm

Try creating the partition with GParted.

Screenshot%20from%202015-06-26%20133200_

Select the drive you want to create the partition on from the drop-down menu on the right, highlight the unused space you want to create the partition in by clicking on it, then press the "New" button on the left.

Screenshot%20from%202015-06-26%20132927_

Select file system etc in the window that opens then click "Apply" to create the partition.

Then run the installer again, and install Kali to the partition.

To take a screenshot in Kali, press Print Screen on your keyboard, open File Manager, click on File System and the screenshot should be there.

Screenshot%20from%202015-06-26%20132949_

Edited by Al1000, 26 June 2015 - 08:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users