Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A friends vista laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:41 PM

Her LT went to sleep and did not want to wake up, not sure what all she did except she said she removed the battery to shut it down with the loading bar was running.  Absolutely nothing in the F8 menu will go completely through, either it stops half way through loading drivers the MS loading bar.  All ideas appreciated.

Ok I let it sit loading system recovery after about 20 minutes it opened, new stumbling block password!  This may be the deal breaker the machine is pretty old as is her memory.  I called a buddy that may have vista disks a prayer is being said!!!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 22 June 2015 - 06:27 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,397 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

I tried a few passwords she had from way back when NG, I shut it down again and figured I would try normal boot being it had gotten much further then before.  To my amazement it started up, now I am sitting here figuring my next step!!  There is no recovery partition, I am running sfc /scannow to see if that finds something, for an old machine it has almost nothing on it.

Got it running but can not access CBS.log, ran as admin but note book would not open it.  For now I give up, spoke with her found out she does not use this for anything else but games.  So be it runs and she is happy!

#3 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 03:20 PM

Did you copy cbs.log to another folder?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

No I did not, she has it back so far no glitches!

Phil

#5 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:00 AM

try running note book through CMD and see if you can open the CBS log

they call me te java mayster

#6 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:47 AM

I think its old enough and wants to rest. Better buy a new one which is more reliable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users