Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen after update (WITH USEFUL LOGS! :D)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kira_Slith

Kira_Slith

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

Last month I received an update from Microsoft which blocked windows from booting and after a few attempts to resolve I reverted, disabled updates, and continued working as I had other things to do that day so I could keep my private research funding. BUT Today I decided to take initiative since I could not find any information about this anywhere else and Windows updated itself while I was not paying attention causing the problem all over again.

I cut down my boot logs into 2 files as I always keep boot logging and "No-GUI" enabled.

ntbtlog_BAD.txt is the log section where windows boots to a black screen with cursor, the log shows that windows is repeatedly ignoring the 3 main processor drivers for the CPU, GPU, and Power Management in the laptop, I can get into the security menu and restart or attempt to launch task manager but launching task manager loads for 20 Minutes and does nothing all I can do in this state is reboot into the F8 recovery and revert to a pre-update state

ntbtlog_GOOD.txt is the log where windows successfully boots without any issues and all drivers load perfectly fine post-revert.

I marked the last date Windows update says an update was successful without a revert in WindowsUpdate.log with:
"!!!!END OF LAST SUCCESSFULL UPDATE WITHOUT BLACK SCREEN OR REVERT!!!!"
Which you'll need to copy-find-paste-search because it is a LONG log over a megabyte in size.

I also included a System Info Dump incase it's necessary.

So, we know WHY is it happening, and HOW it's causing the dreaded black screen, But we don't know WHAT part of the update is causing it and HOW to fix it temporarily.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

Do you still need help with this issue?
I must advise you that I've worked these issues for years - both online and at work (I'm a PC Tech).

The end result in most cases is inconclusive - and the only "fix" is either a System Restore or a "wipe and reinstall"

Those that we have solved have ended up being drivers for 3rd party (non-Windows) hardware (things like chipset drivers, storage controller drivers, video drivers, even networking drivers)

I'll gladly help to work on this, but don't want to foster hope that this will be an easy fix.

If you do still need help, please post this info (even though you haven't reported BSOD's):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users