Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Geforce 6600gt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hello,

The Geforce 6600gt was recommended to me as a very good card for the price. So I decide to shop around on the net to find one.

But I notice that all these different brands offer it. And at various prices. Isnt nVidia a graphics card brand name? How could an XpertVision be or a Leadtek all be nVidia 6600GT?

Is nVidia a component of the card?

And how do I determine which one is the best?

So much information out there and I have only a tiny brain.

Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks in advance

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:20 AM

Yes, nVidia makes a component on the card, what you might call it the component. nVidia makes the graphics processor, in your case the GeForce 6600GT, which the rest of the card is built around. Beyond the graphics processor the differences aren't that big. The best way to figure it out is to read a few reviews. I'd recommend eVGA of XFX, but there are several other good brands like Asus, Leadtek, BFG, Gigabyte,
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

I think you are better off buying a 7 series nVidia card than a 6 series. The 6 series is dated, and an eVGA 7600GT can be had for $134.00 after rebate. Plus eVGA has a step-up program and allows you to over clock their cards without voiding the warranty.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#4 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

I thank you all for your help. I understand now

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users