Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OLD PC transfering data to IMac

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 714rican

714rican

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

I am super new, I have a OLD non working 2003 Dell, and in that hard drive I have 30 gigs of music and old pictures of my kids that I am tring to transfer to my IMAC, what hard wear do I need just to pull the hard drive from the PC and transfer to the Imac? Thank you for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:58 PM

With not working you mean that your old pc is not able to start. If so the simplest way is to remove the drive from your old pc and connect it as second drive to a working one. From there you are able to read the data. To transfer the contents to you iMac you have two possible options.

1. Connect an external usb drive and copy all the contents on it. Connect the external USB Drive with the copied data to your iMac and transfer the contents.

2. If you have several PC's in your home you can establish a network connections to transfer the data directly to your mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-qa/HT201553

Edited by dante12, 22 June 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#3 714rican

714rican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Dante, thank you sir!!

Can I get your opinion, everyone I ask they want 200 to do this for me, is that a fair price of way to expensive.

If I have the hard drive removed from the non working tower, what is the name of the hardware I need to purchase that I can put the hard drive in ? From that piece of equipment I will have a USB that I can connect to the Mac right? Thank you again for generous informaiton.

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:25 PM

If you have a second pc tower for example or a friend that have a windows or linux pc, you can put the drive in this running pc. Cable you don't need because you can use the  connected cable in your old pc.

Read the article they are many hints for you to get the best way. 

Also you don't need to purchase an external drive if you have one that does the work too. Ask your friends if they have one for some hours to transfer your data.

#5 714rican

714rican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

your awesome man!!! Thank you

#6 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

You're welcome  :thumbup2:

#7 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:53 PM

Take out the dard drive from your old laptop and put the hard drive in a new laptop and copy the files in a external drive and transfer it to your mac.

Or you can try this also, click here to know more

#8 714rican

714rican
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

Thank you Natalie Green!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:53 AM

I would get a cheap 16GB or 32GB flash drive. If you have a Staples near you they usually have sales.  Make sure it or the external drive you use is formatted FAT32 because a MAC cannot read NTFS unless it has a special driver. 

Edit: As dante12 posted does this computer power on or is it dead? If dead you would need to attach the drive to another PC and then transfer the files to a FAT32 formatted device. If it powers on and you have another PC you may be able to create a bootable disk and then transfer the files to the flash/external drive using it. 

Edit: If you end up attaching it to another computer, you could attach it internally, using an external USB enclosure, or USB adapter. Because of the age of the computer, you may have an IDE hard drive. If the computer you are attaching it to uses the newer SATA interface you would need the enclosure or adapter.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#10 NatalieGreen

NatalieGreen

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

:welcome:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users