Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asking any Expert in Computers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dragonofhonor

Dragonofhonor

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

Hello everyone, I'm making a post here for an assignment I'm working on in class. It requires to me to talk to an expert on a topic I chose. The topic I chose is computer tech/building computers.

Here is a list of things I know as of now, and I hope to hear feedback from at least 1 person.

1. I know the different hardware inside the computer that is required to make the computer (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc.)
  2. The purpose that each hardware serves for the computer (HD to store memory, video cards for displaying graphics and more high tech graphics)
  3. Software required to operate and have the computer stay protected and run better (OS, anti-virus software)
  4. The daily cleaning and maintenance that should be done to keep it well maintain (Defrag, browser history cleaning)

I just like to compare the lists that I know the same as you, things I do not know, and maybe things you did not know. I already know that I am not an expert in this topic, but I'm always learning everyday. Thanks for any replies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

Okay I'll bite .. what is it you want to know or that you want me to tell you?

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

I'm with YeahBleeping. Do you have any questions that you would like to ask because I think that you are in the right place. Alos, just a quick search of the internet will provide a wealth of information.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Hello everyone, I'm making a post here for an assignment I'm working on in class. It requires to me to talk to an expert on a topic I chose. The topic I chose is computer tech/building computers.

Here is a list of things I know as of now, and I hope to hear feedback from at least 1 person.

1. I know the different hardware inside the computer that is required to make the computer (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc.)
  2. The purpose that each hardware serves for the computer (HD to store memory, video cards for displaying graphics and more high tech graphics)
  3. Software required to operate and have the computer stay protected and run better (OS, anti-virus software)
  4. The daily cleaning and maintenance that should be done to keep it well maintain (Defrag, browser history cleaning)

I just like to compare the lists that I know the same as you, things I do not know, and maybe things you did not know. I already know that I am not an expert in this topic, but I'm always learning everyday. Thanks for any replies!

I noticed something about your opening post.

Number 2. While it can be said the hibernation file stores memory, I would argue that doesn't fit a hard drives description. Also, graphic cards are also used as computation processors in their own right, aside from purely graphics.

Number 3 is massive, and a can of worms. Personally, I disagree with 'experts' on more than a few things in this department.

Number 4 is also open to challenge, depending on who you ask.

#5 Dragonofhonor

Dragonofhonor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:39 PM

Sorry that I didn't clarify on what I was asking.

I'm taking a Critical Thinking class course, and the assignment requires me to ask an expert about the topic I chose.

For this topic, make three lists: A) What I know really well about this topic, B ) What I am learning about this topic, and C) What I know nothing about regarding this topic.

Talk to someone who is also an expert in the topic you are expert in. Compare their lists with your lists. Answer these questions: Are you really an expert? Do you know more orless? Do you know the same or different things? What did you learn about the topic?

This is what part of the assignment is asking me to do. So just a breif list of items about computer tech/building computers would help.

Edited by Dragonofhonor, 22 June 2015 - 08:40 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:09 AM

Your question is very vague to be honest. A simple "list" won't cut it here. Let's take yours for example:

I know the different hardware inside the computer that is required to make the computer (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc.)
The purpose that each hardware serves for the computer (HD to store memory, video cards for displaying graphics and more high tech graphics)
Software required to operate and have the computer stay protected and run better (OS, anti-virus software)
The daily cleaning and maintenance that should be done to keep it well maintain (Defrag, browser history cleaning)

1. What do you know exactly about the hardware? Yes of course, you know the name of the components, but do you know their purposes? Brands, models, specifications (and their signification), compatiblity, etc.?
2. You know the basic role of the components, but other than that, do you know their specs? Do you know what it a 7.2k RPM at 64MB SATA3 hard drive is? Can you tell me what the 7.2k, 64 and SATA3 stands for?
3. Are you able to define an OS? Are you able to define an Antivirus? Do you know how Antivirus works? Do you know what else you need on a computer to stay protected? Which software, why, how do they work exactly, etc.
4. Why do you need to defrag a hard drive? What id defragging? Why would you want to clean your browser history, what is stored there, can it be dangerous, etc.

There's a difference between listing in general what one person knows about computing, and asking a person to list what he knows exactly about computers. Judging from your list, I could tell you that I know pretty much everything about Windows and hardware, which is only two points. However, these two points covers many, many other aspects and I might not have the same level of knowledge in each of them. Do you understand what I'm explaining or? I know that explanation can sound a bit confusing, if it is let me know and I'll try to re-word it.

Edit: Also, who here can call himself an Expert? I graduated in IT, it's my real job, I do this for a living, should I call myself an Expert despite the fact that there's users on this forum that knows 10,000 times more things than me when it comes to IT? What defines an Expert?

Edit 2: Also what about programmers? They also work with "computers", therefore they can be Experts in it, thought their skills and knowledge range isn't the same as people working on IT. It's basically CS vs IT.

Edited by Aura., 23 June 2015 - 09:14 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:39 AM

/em stands off to the side cheering on Aura making woof noises and fist bumps

I would suggest you narrow your vague interpretation of 'computers' to one single component like:

Computer program Hard drives/Windows File Formats/Saving devices --File systems what are the differences where have we been (MFM / RLL /Modern ATA/ SSDs -- Fat16 Fat32 NTFS ReFS--cassette tapes / 5 1/4 -3 1/5 " disks drives /Optical CD DVD Blueray/USB Thumbdrives

I don't know.. just a thought for you..

Edited by YeahBleeping, 23 June 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:28 AM

I'll bite.

For this topic, make three lists: A) What I know really well about this topic, B ) What I am learning about this topic, and C) What I know nothing about regarding this topic.

Talk to someone who is also an expert in the topic you are expert in. Compare their lists with your lists. Answer these questions: Are you really an expert? Do you know more orless? Do you know the same or different things? What did you learn about the topic?

A) Very little.

B) As much as I can.

C) How to program a computer.

When I started this adventure a couple of months ago, I knew that a computer was something that you can use to surf the internet, but now that I have been studying my butt off on the subject I now know that a computer is something that I can surf the internet with, in style. Of course I am learning more everyday, but I still know nothing about programming a computer.

Are you an expert? No

Do you know more or less? I know more than some and less than others

Do you know the same or different things? We all know different things

What did you learn about the topic? That everything that I want to know about computers is on the internet, all I have to do is search.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 23 June 2015 - 10:28 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

Sorry that I didn't clarify on what I was asking.   I'm taking a Critical Thinking class course, and the assignment requires me to ask an expert about the topic I chose.   For this topic, make three lists: A) What I know really well about this topic, B ) What I am learning about this topic, and C) What I know nothing about regarding this topic.   Talk to someone who is also an expert in the topic you are expert in. Compare their lists with your lists. Answer these questions: Are you really an expert? Do you know more orless? Do you know the same or different things? What did you learn about the topic?   This is what part of the assignment is asking me to do. So just a breif list of items about computer tech/building computers would help.

Sorry you feel that way, but your thoughts on HDD and video cards are incorrect, or incomplete respectively. Experts need to be correct, and comprehensive where possible in what they reply, or they are not 'experts', surely.. Seems clarifying to me.

As for the rest, Forewarned is forearmed. I'm just trying to show the magnitude of the subjects you seem to feel is simply answered.

Good luck with your test.....

#10 Dragonofhonor

Dragonofhonor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:51 AM

Your question is very vague to be honest. A simple "list" won't cut it here. Let's take yours for example:

I know the different hardware inside the computer that is required to make the computer (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, etc.)
The purpose that each hardware serves for the computer (HD to store memory, video cards for displaying graphics and more high tech graphics)
Software required to operate and have the computer stay protected and run better (OS, anti-virus software)
The daily cleaning and maintenance that should be done to keep it well maintain (Defrag, browser history cleaning)

1. What do you know exactly about the hardware? Yes of course, you know the name of the components, but do you know their purposes? Brands, models, specifications (and their signification), compatiblity, etc.?
2. You know the basic role of the components, but other than that, do you know their specs? Do you know what it a 7.2k RPM at 64MB SATA3 hard drive is? Can you tell me what the 7.2k, 64 and SATA3 stands for?
3. Are you able to define an OS? Are you able to define an Antivirus? Do you know how Antivirus works? Do you know what else you need on a computer to stay protected? Which software, why, how do they work exactly, etc.
4. Why do you need to defrag a hard drive? What id defragging? Why would you want to clean your browser history, what is stored there, can it be dangerous, etc.

There's a difference between listing in general what one person knows about computing, and asking a person to list what he knows exactly about computers. Judging from your list, I could tell you that I know pretty much everything about Windows and hardware, which is only two points. However, these two points covers many, many other aspects and I might not have the same level of knowledge in each of them. Do you understand what I'm explaining or? I know that explanation can sound a bit confusing, if it is let me know and I'll try to re-word it.

Edit: Also, who here can call himself an Expert? I graduated in IT, it's my real job, I do this for a living, should I call myself an Expert despite the fact that there's users on this forum that knows 10,000 times more things than me when it comes to IT? What defines an Expert?

Edit 2: Also what about programmers? They also work with "computers", therefore they can be Experts in it, thought their skills and knowledge range isn't the same as people working on IT. It's basically CS vs IT.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not that great when it comes with mind into words.

I know that the components and the compatibility for the hardware. Motherboards accepting only certain CPU formats, the number of slots of RAM it takes and the max size it can handle. The different types of the PCI slots a motherboard has.

The HDD for RPM is rotations per minute, I can't think on top of my head on what the 64MB is. I think it's the data cache? Not sure what it is. SATA3 is a specific format of the HDD to plug into the motherboard slots for SATA.

OS is the operating system of the computer, it is basically a GUI visual of giving command codes in a simple point-click format navigating.

Antivirus is a security program that helps detects and removes specific viruses. There is also Anti-Malware software too for protecting the computer.

Defragging reorganizes the data on the HDD to help increase the speed of navigating on the computer.

I'm just being quick on what I am saying here since I have short time between work, class, study, and rest.

My information might or is incorrect, but I am learning and taking IT Administration degree in college right now for my first year, so I only know the basic knowledge from what I see briefly.

Thanks for the reply everyone! I'll be trying to write my assignment now from what I gathered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users