Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot Windows 8.1 after cloning from HDD to SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

I have been running into this issue sometimes when cloning HDDs to new SSDs and was wondering is anyone had some ideas; I use Aomei and EaseUS normally to clone disks and any Windows 7 one will work fine, but sometimes with Windows 8 disks the SSD won't boot, giving me

The application or operating system couldn’t be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

Error code: 0xc0000225

So I always try startup repair and sometimes that will fix it, other times I have to try a bunch of fixes from the web like fixing the bootrec and such, but I've had a couple disks that just will not boot no matter what, I even tried the Easy Recovery Essentials but can't get that to even boot if anyone has used it before. I'm mainly just looking for ideas because I think the issue is that the partitions on the original HDD usually have one primary one, and a few recovery ones, but on the cloned SSD all of the partitions are set as primary, and I can't figure out how to change that.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

Well I tried Acronis True Image 2015 and somehow it did whatever the other programs couldn't and the disk booted right up.

-Jaime Lannister

#3 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:45 AM

0xc0000225 means Windows cannot find the System Files used for booting. 
The causes may be the following things.
1. The System files are corrupt.
2. The disk File system has bad configuration.
3. Hardware fault.

Fix it:
1.Rebuild the BCD
2.Manually configuring the active partition
3.Restore the MBR

This fix demands more commands you need to type. use the bootsect.exe file from the CD and not bootrec.exe. Follow these steps:

Insert your Windows install CD
Select Repair your computer after you go through the initial screen
Select your Windows installation drive (usually C:\)
Click Next
Choose Command Prompt at System Recovery Options window screen
Determine which drive letter your Windows installation disk is on. Run the following commands in the exact same order and hit enter after each:

diskpart
select disk 0
list volume

After entering list volume your Command Prompt will show a list of available drives.
Search for the item that has “CD-ROM” in the “Type” column and check what letter it has assigned in the “LTR” column. In our example (and from now on) our CD drive letter is E:

Close the diskpart process by running exit and hit Enter:

exit

Type the CD drive’s letter, like F:

Type cd boot and then type dir to show the list of files and directories in the boot directory of the F: drive. You will now see a bootsect.exe file listed. Here are the commands in order:

cd boot
dir

Now type the following command and hit Enter:
bootsect /nt60 SYS /mbr

After seeing the success message, Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes., type exit to quit the Command Prompt:
exit
Press Enter
Restart your computer

Edited by AlicePhoebe, 24 June 2015 - 01:55 AM.

#4 Aerys

Aerys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

I've been to every website that lists a fix for it and that was also one that I've tried. it just seems the Acronis is the only program that can do it correctly.

-Jaime Lannister

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

What version of Aoemi did you use. Version 2.5 could not clone to a clean disk because the disk needed to be initialized as GPT first but version 2.8 was supposed to fix that problem.

It may work where you create a disk image first then restore the disk image to the SSD instead of doing a straight clone with Aoemi.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2015 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users