Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dale Earnhardt Jr. to be spokesperson for Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

It was announced this morning that Microsoft has signed a partnership with NASCAR and Hendrick Motorsports. Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be a Windows 10 spokesperson and Microsoft will sponsor Earnhardt at this Sunday's race at Sonoma. Check out the link for more.

http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/articles/55686/hendrick-motorsports-teams-with-microsoft-to-drive-technology-innovation

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:08 AM

I need to buy a die cast NASCAR toy that says Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

It's available in three varieties.

http://store.nascar.com/Dale_Earnhardt_Jr_Diecast

Edited by frankp316, 22 June 2015 - 05:40 PM.

#4 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

Can we have a game of NASCAR available for windows phone ? IOS and Android has couple games of that sport.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

With all do respect to Dale's super-ability in racing, what does he know about IT? After all, you can't pour oil in it. As an official spokesperson, will Dale publicly be taking technical questions that are flooding IT forums everywhere about W10? I don't think so.

This shows M/Soft's desperate goal of persuading the masses that they really, really, really have it together this time.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

No but Dale Jr. can certainly explain the benefits of Windows 10 to NASCAR fans in commercials. He may be the first celebrity spokesperson for Windows 10 but he certainly won't be the last as Microsoft needs to sell the free upgrade to average users. Why would anyone think that any celebrity would be hired to talk to IT people about Windows 10 or anything else? 

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

Ranchhand, post #5, I agree with you. I for one refuse to make decisions about products I choose based on which famous faces are involved in their marketing, I'm surprised that using celebrities to advertise products works AT ALL, I always go by the principle of choosing products I buy based on what the products are, not based on who is spokesperson for them. The great majority of people however are far too quick to let a famous face distract them from deciding about their purchases based on the merits and downsides of different products. This ofcourse applies to all products, not just operating systems, and for almost every type of product on sale, companies selling them use this method at some point.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

What are you agreeing with? He said that Dale Jr. needs to convince IT pros to use Windows 10. That's nonsense and it had nothing to do with celebrity endorsements in general. 

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:54 PM

What are you agreeing with? He said that Dale Jr. needs to convince IT pros to use Windows 10. That's nonsense and it had nothing to do with celebrity endorsements in general. 

Not need to convince this IT Pro.  Would be a bit like carrying coal to Newcastle  :)  Since I spend time, already, promoting it.  And outside the cynicism found in some IT Forums threads it's not a hard sell, at all.  Face to face finding many looking forward to it & welcoming it.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:28 AM

Love NASCAR, but like ranchhand said, a driver promoting Win10 makes MSFT look desperate.  To make sales they need to MAKE BETTER EXPLANATIONS, not the blahblahblah of Nadella speeches ZDNET feels constrained to report, not the dancing teens with Surface, but SHOW ME THE MONEY demonstrations why Win10 is better.

As it stands, until I came here and finally started posting over the weekend, I knew nothing good about Win10, but some arcane needle-in-the-haystack blog post about MS Office 95 running on Win10, which I saw here in this forum, got me interested.

But oh, MSFT never does advertise stuff like that.  Which makes the OS suspicious, even though this is good news for backwards-compatibility.  Lots of companies still have MS Office 95 records, see.  I'm among them.  For Office 95 can read DOS files.  I've been in business since 1985, and have a ton of DOS wordprocessing.  Still use Multimate II, which was a Fortune 100 staple for a long time.

WE HAVE BEEN BURNED TOO MANY TIMES, so now we are skeptical.  That's the fact.  Every new OS disrupts operations for two years, and when we finally get the hang of the new and less-functional OS, a new one comes out.  What is wrong with this picture?

Edited by brainout, 28 June 2015 - 09:35 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

:hysterical:

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

Every new OS disrupts operations for two years, and when we finally get the hang of the new and less-functional OS, a new one comes out.

Well, so much for that considering there are not going to be any more new OSs.  & as an aside, 10 is sure not "less functional" than anything before it.

"their stuff wrecks my stuff, if their stuff doesn't work well"
It does work well & doesn't break stuff.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 28 June 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#13 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

Drew, that's your wanting-to-paper-over-the-past opinion.  I'm talking FACTS.  And the FACT is, Win10 does NOT bring back the Start menu, does NOT improve searching versus Win7, does NOT obliterate that horrible packaging of too-big-icons and the need to TYPE (for crying out loud) if you want to find a program.

I'm a taskbar and desktop toolbar person.  I don't use the Start Menu often, but it is really helpful, and Win10 did NOT bring it back.  So basta, este es el colmo.  I don't have time to spend hours and hours reconfiguring.

The only possible reasons to install it are (out of curiosity) the sandboxing of Win95 stuff, and Hyper-V in 64-bit, maybe also voice recognition or handwriting recognition.  But to do it now?  Why bother?

Once I see it works well, and it can't be working well now, it's still in preview -- then I won't mind paying for it if I must. I don't believe in free, even though the 1-year offer means I can put Win10 on all my Win7 machines (and 2x 8.1, if I install 8.0 and update them).

Well, now I know how to spend Sunday.  Gonna forego installing Win10 and go back to work on the Linux glitches.

Edited by brainout, 28 June 2015 - 04:14 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

All the rhetoric & condemning is not going to make windows 10 go away.  Search IS improved, icons can be made small & although one can type to find something it is not necessary.
I don't use the Start menu, @ all BUT, not cus I think there is anything wrong w/ it, just not necessary to open it for much.  Matter of fact I haven't used the Start menu since way back in the early Windows 7 days. I rely of the Taskbar & Desktop which are easy AND QUICK to configure & powerful.

10 does work well, even the Beta, so well it leaves me excited & anxious to have the GA. 
Ok, pay for it.  Some may prefer to save $200 a pop; I know I sure do.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#15 Snert1952

Snert1952

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

If MS will pay me a bucks I'll promote Win 10 in mt favorite watering hole..  .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users