Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1501 linux startup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ubwag

ubwag

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:21 AM

The install from USB works fine EXCEPT for a "bad dmi" comment in the user name.

If I clear it out the install process works flawlessly and it will boot.

There's one odd thing though.  It goes through the Dell boot screen - counts the ram, intializes the mouse and the the screen goes black except for a blinking cursor for about 20-30 seconds...then the system loads fine.

I'm guessing it's looking for something and timing out but have no clue what I should do to get it to startup more quickly.

This is not an issue with Windows 7 or 10 and there are no hard drive issues that I am aware of.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Could you please provide as many details as possible. What operating systems do you have on this computer, and do you know what bootloader you are using?

Did you install Linux from the USB to an internal drive, or is it still on USB?

#3 ubwag

ubwag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

Hi and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

Could you please provide as many details as possible. What operating systems do you have on this computer, and do you know what bootloader you are using?

Did you install Linux from the USB to an internal drive, or is it still on USB?

I had a newly formatted drive and installed the latest version of xubuntu on it - I think it's running grub. it's a western digital 320 gb hard drive.

when I run it from the usb drive as a live distro it rboots rapidly but I do get a error message about the 8425 timer not having io=acpi

I only notice the delay when booting from the hard drive - it takes 20-30 seconds with the black scree/blinking cursor - then boots without any problem.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:22 PM

Hi - the black screen with the blinking cursor is normal- at least in my Linux distos- see if you can go into the BIOS and there should be a setting there to bypass the memory loading and drivers for the mouse and keyboard- I forget what it's called - "Quick Boot" or something.Anyway i had to do that on a couple of Dell computers I have had in the past.-- Paul

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:10 AM

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, it seems as though the HDD install is working good, is that correct?

Can you post some more info about the pc in question.  This is an old laptop with some common issues installing linux so it will help to have more info.  If you can boot into Xubuntu, open terminal and copy this into the Terminal: inxi -Fx and hit Enter.  This will produce a nice output of what is on your laptop.  You can Copy Paste that here.

If you can't get help and you don't mind distro hopping, you could try out another distro, one better suited for older equipment.

You could try these out but I am still new to all this so cannot predict the outcome.

When you boot at the main menu press F6 and at the end of the line add the boot option(s) noapic.

initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet -- noapic
or
initrd=/install/initrd.gz quiet -- noapic nolapic  and see what happens.

Be sure to read my Disclosure in my Signature first.  Or wait for some better info from Al000 or someone else. 

So what do you have 15.04 or 14.04?

Is this the same hdd that you have Windows 7 on?  

A BIOS Update might also help from what I have read.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:16 AM

A BIOS update to run Linux? Really? Can you give me the link to where you read this?

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:28 AM

He may be able to do a BIOS update,but that won't make any difference to run Linux.You might try booting into your BIOS to see if there is an option to skip all the memory loading and testing- but you still may have the blinking cursor at the top of the screen while Linux loads. I know I do-

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:42 AM

A BIOS update to run Linux? Really? Can you give me the link to where you read this?

I guess this don't have anything to do with BIOS? hmm, ok.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/mp-bios-bug-8254-timer-not-connected-use-noapic-option-to-boot-591891/#post3525893

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 ubwag

ubwag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:22 AM

Hi - the black screen with the blinking cursor is normal- at least in my Linux distos- see if you can go into the BIOS and there should be a setting there to bypass the memory loading and drivers for the mouse and keyboard- I forget what it's called - "Quick Boot" or something.Anyway i had to do that on a couple of Dell computers I have had in the past.-- Paul

it's normal? that's odd, I guess on my newer laptop it doesn't hang like that.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Thanks for the help :)

#10 ubwag

ubwag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:25 AM

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, it seems as though the HDD install is working good, is that correct?

Can you post some more info about the pc in question.  This is an old laptop with some common issues installing linux so it will help to have more info.  If you can boot into Xubuntu, open terminal and copy this into the Terminal: inxi -Fx and hit Enter.  This will produce a nice output of what is on your laptop.  You can Copy Paste that here.

If you can't get help and you don't mind distro hopping, you could try out another distro, one better suited for older equipment.

You could try these out but I am still new to all this so cannot predict the outcome.

When you boot at the main menu press F6 and at the end of the line add the boot option(s) noapic.

or

Be sure to read my Disclosure in my Signature first.  Or wait for some better info from Al000 or someone else. 

I have used windows 7 and now have windows 10 on it - without the cursor hang issue - so I'm thinking it's something peculiar to linux. I'll post the output this evening.

thanks

oh and I'll give the bios update a try too.

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

or

I have used windows 7 and now have windows 10 on it - without the cursor hang issue - so I'm thinking it's something peculiar to linux. I'll post the output this evening.

thanks

oh and I'll give the bios update a try too.

Don't bother with a BIOS update. It more than likely won't have anything to do with your problem. BIOS can be finicky to update and if something goes wrong, bye bye motherboard.

Check out this Ubuntu forum thread. It is about the same error you are getting. Maybe it can help you out.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:08 PM

it's normal? that's odd, I guess on my newer laptop it doesn't hang like that.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Thanks for the help :)

How long does it sit there blank? and Yeah- i have 7 distros on my Machine,and they all do that, but my HP is a bout 5-6 years old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users