Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to extract .rar files?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 endrezsombor

endrezsombor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

Hello:

I have a big file (suppose 100 MB) and it is splitted into 10 parts in .rar extension. Now the question is if I lost any part, is there any way to extract the remaining parts by joining? If so, please tell me in details.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hello, and Welcome

When you say lost, is one of the parts corrupted? If so, you may be able to repair it using WinRAR's repair tool. What part was lost or broken?

See this thread.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

Also welcome to BC !

If you are using WinRar it usually gives an indication where the failure occurred - by that I mean which section is damaged/corrupted. A simple solution would be to download the damaged file part again, or get another copy of it and use that instead of the faulty piece.

It would be unusual to break a file of only 100MB into 10 parts unless it was sent by e-mail, in which case contact whoever sent you the file to re-send it.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 tellisolheim

tellisolheim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

The same trouble is discussed there, you may read it there http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/corrupt-rar-archive-in-windows-how-to-repair/

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

See below from Here: Although the question is a bit different .. it is basically the same problem.  If this is a video file you can take any one of the volumes and copy the volume to the name of the missing file.  This will allow you to join all the files together but whichever file you copied will 'show' the output of the video of the file you copied and not the missing video.  A better solution would be to create a new volume from the original and make sure you choose to save recovery data in the options.

If when the .rar volume was created you/ (whoever .rar'd the file) did not choose to store a recovery record than it may be impossible to rebuild the missing .rar.  You can try the recovery method described below.

Q:I failed to extract files from a solid multivolume RAR archive because one archive volume was damaged (bad floppy diskette). Help me!

A:First of all, you should use RAR recovery record when storing archives onto unreliable media such as floppies. Generally, it is not recommended to create solid archives in this case. You should use the normal (non solid) mode instead.

If you have a damaged volume of a solid archive, try to repair the damaged volume. It helps if you used RAR recovery when you created the archive. You may check for the presence of a recovery record in the archive by using the Show information command. Rename recovered volume, fixed.arcname.rar (if recovery record was not used, WinRAR builds only rebuilt.arcname.rar) to the actual volume name and try to unpack your archive again, starting with the first volume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users