Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with A Gateway 2000 P5-90 Not Recognizing Disc Drive

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:48 AM

I recently bought a Gateway 2000 P5-90 preinstalled with MSDOS 6.22. After struggling with figuring out how to use DOS 6.22, I decided to give up and install windows 95 instead. After installing Windows 95 from CD, I noticed that my CD drive didn't show up under "Computer." Going back to the BIOS, I noticed it didn't show up there either. I've tried four different drives spanning a decade and not a single one of them will show up. I've three three different ribbon cables and all manner of jumper configs, some of which cause BIOS to not post at all. What should both jumpers be set to on the HDD and cd drive? They're each on separate channels and not sharing the same ribbon cable. I thought that meant both had to be set as masters, but this causes BIOS not to post.

Anyway, any suggestions on what I can do to remedy this problem? Let me know if any further info is needed. I can post pictures or provide whatever you need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:41 AM

Put the CD drive on the same channel as the HDD and set it to Slave. If it still is not detected then I would have to assume the drive is bad. How much RAM is on this computer?

#3 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I stated, I've tried four different drives and they all have the same result.

I will try it just the same and post back.

Edited by Guybrush3pwood, 22 June 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:46 PM

When you tried with different drives you set them as Slave on the same channel as the HDD? I remember having an old Gateway where I could never get anything to run on the secondary IDE channel. I could only use the primary channel and hook up a CD Rom as Slave.

#5 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:55 PM

I'll try it out. When I tested the drives I set them all as Master, then slave, then CS while on another channel. I'll try putting them on the same channel in slave. I do believe I tried it at some point, but the PC wouldn't post to bios, but I'll try it again.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:24 PM

What are in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files?

use at the command prompt :

type config.sys

type autoexec.bat

ensure lastdrive=L is in config.sys maybe??

#7 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

Nothing. They're both empty. Should I put "lastdrive=L" as the only thing in there?

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

They are both empty..? that doesnt sound right yes go ahead and put that line in there and see if that fixes the problem.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

oh wait windows 95 is that where windows changed autoexec bat and config sys to system ini and config ini?  Look in there too maybe in the windows directory.  It's been so long maybe I shouldn't try to help with this. lol

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

If the drive is not detected in BIOS then you will not see it in Windows. If I can remember correctly you would need to add the CD driver in config.sys and have it pointed to from autoexec.bat.

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

#11 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

They are both empty..? that doesnt sound right yes go ahead and put that line in there and see if that fixes the problem.

According to the article linked to in a post a couple down from you, this won't work as the "lastdrive" command is ignored by any Windows OS older than 3.1.

If the drive is not detected in BIOS then you will not see it in Windows. If I can remember correctly you would need to add the CD driver in config.sys and have it pointed to from autoexec.bat.

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

Any idea what I would type?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

In that link I provided look at the below line. You need the mscdex.exe file 

LH C:\Windows\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123

and also in order to load high (LH) you would need to have the following lines at the beginning of config.sys

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

You also need to add the following line to config.sys for the CD drive

DEVICEHIGH=C:\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:123

MTMCDAI.SYS needs to be in the root of C:

Here is an article from Microsoft. It's for Win98 but is the same for 95. See method 2.  This will not work if BIOS does not detect your CD Rom drive.

#13 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:32 PM

So, I tried both on one channel with a slave and master setup, and no go. Won't boot to windows and the cd drive doesn't show up (tried multiple dirves too. No go on any of them). What's even better, now it won't boot to windows 95. Maybe a reinstall is in order? Maybe I should just accept the fact that Windows 95 doesn't want to run properly on this machine and go back to MSDOS 6.22 where I can't get any programs to run? It's like I'm boned either way.

In that link I provided look at the below line. You need the mscdex.exe file 

LH C:\Windows\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123

and also in order to load high (LH) you would need to have the following lines at the beginning of config.sys

DEVICE=C:\Windows\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

You also need to add the following line to config.sys for the CD drive

DEVICEHIGH=C:\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:123

MTMCDAI.SYS needs to be in the root of C:

Here is an article from Microsoft. It's for Win98 but is the same for 95. See method 2.  This will not work if BIOS does not detect your CD Rom drive.

Yeah, then I guess there's no point in doing any of it since bios simply refuses to recognize the cd-rom.

#14 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:51 PM

Now I can't even get 6.22 to load. *Sigh* Maybe I need to buy a new hard drive? Don't know if I want to sink anymore money into this thing. Or maybe I need to take a step back. Pretty frustrated right now and I've been working on this for days.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,924 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

On that old computer, I would cut my loses and run. If you need to run DOS games take a look at Dfend Reloaded which is a GUI front end for Dosbox. I have played old dos games with sound on an XP computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users