Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Linux Distro For An Older Machine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

I thought OPENELEC was the answer and man is it awesome... However I need a "true" web browser and from what I've seen the Chromium add-on may or may not work. Opera Doesn't support flash, ect, ect. 

Here is my setup: 

HP dc7800 SFF with Intel Core Duo CPU's

E6550@2.33Ghz x2, 4GB RAM, 80gb HDD

Here are my wants/needs:

PC is hooked up to my living room tv: so it would be to watch videos mainly .mkv format, YOUTUBE, and light web browsing, mainly for downloads as I sometimes send and receive files via rapidshare and or billionuploads, ect, ect.   and thats pretty much it. 

so to recap

Must be able to:

- play .mkv videos

- play Youtube videos

- have a full on web browser

- be able to install and run TEAMVIEWER

any suggestions would be appreciated!

oNe

p.s.  TOP CONTENDERS so far:  1. Linux Mint  2. Ubuntu 3. xubuntu? 

Edited by Phabeon, 22 June 2015 - 07:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:57 AM

Any of your top contenders should do the job, as long as they will run on your computer. Your computer's graphics are most likely to be the potential limiting factor regarding which distros may not run, or may not run smoothly.

WRT to Mint, the MATE desktop is the most suitable desktop for older hardware, but that doesn't mean to say that some or all of the other versions of Mint won't work.

Similarly, Xubuntu (which is basically Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop) is more suitable for older hardware than Ubuntu (which comes with the Unity desktop), but that doesn't mean to say that Ubuntu won't work.

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

Ubuntu should run fine on that hardware, I have personally run it on way worse than that.

Any distro you choose, download VLC player and you will be able to play any kind of media you can think of.

TeamViewer should run on any of the distros as well.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:10 AM

I have a similar laptop that runs LUbuntu (minimal install with Xfce added) and Kodi media centre just fine.

We use it to entertain the grand child on long road trips.

You can run VLC direct and play the files from the desktop, if you don't want to be bothered with Kodi.

Cheers!

Naught.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

I thought OPENELEC was the answer and man is it awesome... However I need a "true" web browser and from what I've seen the Chromium add-on may or may not work. Opera Doesn't support flash, ect, ect.

You can't download a browser with that distro?  In most all linux disto's you can just download Firefox or Chrome etc.

The Cromium add-on? you mean the Chromium Browser?

If you still have windows installedd it would be good to run a Speccy Chart, that way we will know exactly what your system has in it.  http://www.piriform.com/

Once you run it just go to the top menu and it will tell you how to save the chart to your HDD and then one to publish on web.  Forget which choice the instructions are in, you will find it, it's pretty easy.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users