Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Support Assistant Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 characterchange1

characterchange1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

This is a very recent problem with a laptop. Message along the lines of"Support Assistant has encountered a serious problem and has stopped working". Googled the quoted message, found so many posts on various forums with the same problem that I decided to come here to pose the question, "does anyone know if HP have come up with a reliable fix for this problem". Almost all posts on all forums come up with "uninstall and download new version", but it would appear that this solution rarely works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:48 AM

Hi -

Yes a well discussed topic, so I looked at the logical results.

Try changing the compatibility mode to windows 7 on the Hp support assistant application shortcut on the desktop and then right click and run as administrator and it "should work".

Others had the same issue and now its working fine.

Beyond this, it seems to be a Win 8.1 problem only (not Win 8), so follow their forum for updates -

Good Luck -

#3 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

Thanks for your input, but I have no HPSA shortcut on my desktop. But I have just found 6 x sp68201s on searching for SA. And what's the chances of meeting another person with the same problem as I have? Must be millions to one and yet I just have. Took the laptop to our local computers repair shop and discovered that the guy next in line has been trying for months to get his HPSA up and running again. Anyway, we lost a bit of faith in our local guy who simply said, "sorry guys, if HP or Windows can't sort out this problem after 3 or 4 years, then what chance have I?".

Do I really need HPSA?

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:48 PM

You do not NEED hpsa running, you certainly don't NEED it running in the background at all times, but some of it's features can be useful for on demand use, and when a computer is new you should use, as soon as possible, it's feature to make some recovery media , just in case you have problems in future.

Personally, after making the recovery media I disabled HPSA entirely (via some disabling of startups and services), but keep it installed incase I ever do need any of it's features.

The error message you mention "Support Assistant has encountered a serious problem and has stopped working" sounds just like the error message you get when any other program crashes during use, have you tried restarting your computer and seeing if HPSA starts running again? Or have you already tried thsi and failed.

Note that you can tell that HPSA is running by looking at the details tab of task manager and seeing if hpsa_service.exe is listed, if it is then hp support assistant is running in the background.

Note that you do not need a shortcut to open hp support assistant, you can search for it's exe file (buried in a folder somewhere) and run that, or you can use the windows "windows key"+"r" run coomand (though you need to know the filepath for the program for that to be possible, you can find this file path from browsing around in your folders.). You can right click the file when you find it in it's folder and choose compatibility options from there if necessary.

If you were desperate to get HP support assistant running again you could use recovery media (did you make any when the computer was new?) or a system image (a better type of recovery media which lets you take your computer back to an earlier state, did you make a few of these when the computer was new?), but use of those would likely erase all your files and leave you having to reinstall all your programs again, so this would be a lot of effort to fix a program which is not crucial for your system to function.

Personally, I would suspect that it was an update to HPSA which caused it to go wrong and do this.

Edited by rp88, 22 June 2015 - 12:48 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for that detailed reply. Have just checked TM and can see that HPSA_Service.exe (4732)is there and running. I can also see that hpservice.exe (1080) HP Service and HPSF.exe(6196) Support Assistant are running too. That said the annoying message that HPSA stopped working keeps popping up and we have to click ok in the ok to get going again.

#6 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

Just after I turned off the task manager, the pop up appeared again. However, this time, I did not click ok, I just left it there and accessed the task manager again. IT WAS STILL SHOWING THAT HPSA WAS RUNNING,!! How could it have stopped working and yet running at the same time? Tried to use the snipping tool to show both popup and TM at the same time but couldn't get the free snip to draw the outline.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:47 PM

You can download and reinstall HP Support Assistant...that generally fixes most issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:31 PM

You can download and reinstall HP Support Assistant...that generally fixes most issues

As I said in my opening post, "almost all posts (ie replies) in all forums come up with uninstall and download new version, but it would appear that this solution rarely works". I personally, have tried to reinstall no less than 7 times without success, hence my collection of sp68201s

Edit: I should have said that the offending message, "SA has stopped working" starts to repeatedly appear after each download and installation.

Edited by characterchange1, 22 June 2015 - 11:35 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:15 AM

Have you tried...?

Technical Support for HP Products
Phone Contact Information for HP

#10 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:48 PM

Have you tried...?Technical Support for HP ProductsPhone Contact Information for HP

Having accessed Technical Support via your first link, I have spent hours trying to get the "Enter your model number" window to accept the details of the laptop which it just fails to recognise. Then found a page which automatically and instantly finds your model number, copied and pasted It, but still not recognised. Over to HP support forum and all I could see there was uninstall and download new version and if that doesn't work try this etc. It does appear that there is no cut and dry answer!

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:26 AM

...found a page which automatically and instantly finds your model number...

Can you post the link for that page?

#12 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:42 AM

...found a page which automatically and instantly finds your model number...

Can you post the link for that page?
Off for 5 days or so, but will do when I get back.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

I reinstall HP Support Assistant several times a day at work (mostly updates).
When they have problems, the issue is almost always due to problems with the file/folder permissions (at work this is most often caused by malware).

If the uninstall/reinstall doesn't work, then it'll require some advanced troubleshooting to figure out and reset the components that are damaged.

Most often we'll end up deleting files/folders related to Support Assistant in order to fix it. 

DO NOT randomly delete HP stuff - it'll break more than it'll fix!!!  Always make a full backup and set a System Restore point before doing this - you may end up making the system unbootable.

At times we can't even do this at work and have to resort to a "wipe and reinstall" to fix it.  At those times we theorize the the damage to the system was just too extensive to allow for an ordinary repair (and the system often has other problems).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

DO NOT randomly delete HP stuff - it'll break more than it'll fix!!!

I concur. I will never understand why folks want to do that or why others recommend they do so. All vendors include preinstalled software including some of their own...and with today's high capacity hard drives, that software does not take up much space for anyone to be concerned about. Further, some features can easily be turned off without removing anything if utilization of resources is a concern.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

At least once every couple of weeks we get in a computer where the user has tried to delete stuff without doing the proper research.
They usually end up leaving the shop $200 poorer (that's what we charge for diagnosing and repairing software problems).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users