Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Request recomendation for video card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:13 PM

The montior display of the below computer is showing resoluiton issues, being choppy with blocks of lines.

Tested with another monitor, other monitor showed same distortion.

Reset monitor to default configurations and other tries, resulting in no changes - leadng me to beleive it is the video card.

Wanting to hear suggestions for videocards, which are not too expensive, with fair to good gaming capability.

May be upgrading to windows 7 in the future, but not sure if that matters.........

Your help is greatly appreciated! - Thanks for your time!

Matt

Dell Inc. Dimension 9100

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
64-bit ready
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Bus Adapters     Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller (4x)

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2015 - 12:39 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

first things first...do you know much about your power supply? it is probably a 300 watt which limits your options.

given that you will probably need a better power supply to enable a decent card, the money spent for a new psu and gfx card would probably be best reserved for a newer PC with a multi-core CPU and windows 7. ( i know , it is a bitter pill, i had to do it years ago with my old p4 xp unit.)

those old P4s were very expensive back in their day compared to what the much better PCs are costing nowadays.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:12 PM

Well, due to a recent lightning strike, both of my  computers PSU's were toast, even with protecters inline. So I had to buy another PSU for each - bought the below

500Watt OCZ

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply

It's output is as follows

3.3V          5v                     12v1        12v2                -12v           5vsb

30 amp     30amp               18amp     18amp          0.5 amp       2.5amp

152 watt                               481 watt                      186.5 watt

My bitter pill as of late, has been some big car repairs!- actually, quite a few pills........

This computer will be limited to gaming as it is my wife's computer, I have another computer for gaming.

Thanks for your help with this, greatly appreciated.

Matt

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:14 PM

the 500 watt PSU certainly gives you some better options. what is the budget? I can't really endorse getting pre-owned cards, there is too much variation and well, the end user could get burned with a lame card. if i ever buy a pre-owned ram stick or a video card from another person i have to see it executing first, that way if i get it installed on my PC and it ducks out, i know something is wrong on my end..

i stuck an old 9800 gt in my old p4, i got it for $20 from a guy down the street and it paired up with my old p4 pretty well when i was doing racecar simulation gaming..the newer cards won't reach their full potential in this instance, as xp will only support directX9 and your motherboard is almost certainly sporting a PCIe 1.1 x 16, which the newer cards will get a retarded effect from.

but , the best bang is still the GTX 750. for around $100 it is as good as it gets for the applications you describe. it will work with the exisitng slot and the psu,  even though it is generations ahead. i will input the link, it is from PC part picker, which is used for mail-order with credit cards and such. but you may have a best -buy or something in your neighborhood where you can get one in person. also, i forgot, wal-mart has amazon-like features from its website where you can do a site-to store purchase. i like doing it that way best, much easier to get refund if you wish...

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=163&page=1

http://www.walmart.com/ip/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-750-1GB-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/36009453

the good thing about the gtx 750, is it can be transferred to a different and better PC later on, without the baggage of needing a hulking power supply to run and still get decent frames.

Edited by synergy513, 22 June 2015 - 11:13 PM.

#5 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

about $100.00 would be a fair area to consider, thanks, when I get a chance, I will take a look at your suggestions, but from what you said, it seems this will work well for me.

I greatly apprecate your help with this!

Matt

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

sure thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users