Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zemana Anti Malware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 McDave466

McDave466

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

I currently have Comodo Internet Security Suite(Free) and MalwareBytes(Free) installed on my Windows 7. Zemana AntiMalware is now available on the BleepingComputer download page as a second opinion Malware scanner. I have noticed that when I have changed AntiVirus programs, they seem to catch a little bit of Malware (usually PUPs) each time. Is it safe and/or advisable to also download and use Zemana AntiMalware. I did get this computer previously owned and there was a fair bit of Malware/PUPs that have been removed. It runs fine now, but wondered about the added layer of protection I may get adding Zemana's AntiMalware. Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2015 - 07:56 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hi McDave466 :)

Zemana Anti-Malware is perfectly fine to use as a second opinion scanner as well (like you're doing with Malwarebytes right now). Be aware that the program only have a trial of 15 days (if I recall correctly), and after that you'll have to buy a licence in order to use it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 McDave466

McDave466
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for such a prompt reply Aura. I'm going to download and try it, before deciding whether to buy it. Also, thanks Orange Blossum for placing my post into a more appropriate forum. First post for me. :thumbup2:

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:07 PM

No problem McDave, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:39 AM

Also... if you need to ask any questions about Zemana, feel free to post it in this thread. The resident Zemana rep on BC will be happy to answer any questions you have.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:10 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Further, each vendor has its own definition (naming standards) of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

Thus, a multi-layered defense using anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and following Best Practices for Safe Computing provides the most complete protection.

A Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as problematic. Thus, this type of detection does not always necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. PUPs in and of themselves are not always bad...many are generally known, non-malicious but unwanted software usually containing adware or bundled with other free third-party software as a common practice by legitimate vendors to include toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins and browser extensions. PUPs are considered unwanted because they can cause undesirable system performance or other problems and are sometimes installed without the user's consent since they are often included when downloading legitimate programs.

PUPs may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition. That fact adds to confusion and a lot of complaints from end users asking why a detection was not made on a particular file (program) they are having issues with.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 McDave466

McDave466
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

Thank you for all advice, tips and replies. Quietman, I've just started posting, but have used this site for about two years for guidance. First started when I ended up with RansomWare which I vanquished with the RKill program. Did an excellent job. Whenever a PUP has been found on my system, I first try and identify what it is, before getting rid of it. The previous owner of the computer had a penchant for downloading movies and music which left some odd programs that I got rid of. From reading on BC I've learned to be very selective of where I download anything from. I'm sure I've read the post above this one, before, which was very helpful. Definitely learned from this site, specifically, how to secure and clean up my system. BC is a great resource for learning and solving any issues I've had. Always recommending it to others. Pretty much try and do most software downloads from BC or the author's site. Very happy with the time and effort you guys put into this site. It's appreciated.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

We appreciate your thoughtful comments about the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users