Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random chance to freeze when starting the computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sihao387

sihao387

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

I will try to describe the problem I had been having ever since I owned Windows 8.1 Pro.

Every single startup from a previous shutdown, the computer seemingly has a random chance to freeze within the first 60 seconds of boot-up. Sometimes it freezes on the login page, sometime it freezes as I just got onto the desktop. I always thought it was something to do with the Microsoft Login when you first start the computer, so I let it auto-login to see if that fixes the problem. No dice, the problem persists.

Every single time when the computer freezes, I have to do a power cycle and hope that the next boot doesn't have the same problem again. It comes down to about a fourth chance for it to freeze as it starts according to my recent statistics.

I don't remember if a specific windows update caused this, or something else. I do remember having trouble installing my graphics card driver on this OS (Sapphire R9 270X Toxic OC), because newer version of the catalyst controller would just outright freeze the computer when attempting to install, so I had to revert back to 14.12 in order to have it stop freezing at installation.

Other than that, I have no clue at all, hopefully someone here could shed some light on me.

XZAPwX5.png

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2015 - 06:50 PM.
Moved to BSOD forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

Please provide this information (even though you're not relating BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sihao387

sihao387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

Attached are the requested information.

Performance Monitor in Windows 8.1 is a bit tricky, since it no longer automatically generate the report and keep saying it is denied, I did what I could to get you what you wanted.

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista (8.1)
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64)
· What was original installed OS on system? (None, self built, so 8.1)
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? (Retail)
· Age of system (hardware) (less than 1 year)
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? (recently reinstalled, 3 weeks old)

· CPU (i5 4670K)
· Video Card (Sapphire R9 270X Toxic OC)
· MotherBoard - (Azrock Z87 Extreme4)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (Rosewill 700W)

· System Manufacturer (N/A, self built)
· Exact model number (N/A, self built)

· Laptop or Desktop? (Desktop)

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

Nice work getting the perfmon report!

BIOS/UEFI (version P1.30) dates from 2013 - please check for an update at the manufacturer's support website

While you're at the manufacturer's support site, get all other updates that date from later than 13 October 2013 (the release date of Win8.1)

Also, there's quite a few Windows Update failures in the WER section of MSINFO32.  Be sure to get ALL available Windows Updates.  If you continue to have problems with it, post back here for some suggestions.

This device is disabled.  Is this deliberate?  Is so, why did you disable it?

802.11n Wireless LAN Card    PCI\VEN_1814&DEV_0601&SUBSYS_28601814&REV_00\5&318847B7&0&0800E6    This device is disabled.

Normally I ask this question as a formality - but in this case there are problems with your networking services (seen in perfmon).
I wonder if you're experiencing hardware/software networking problems.

You have Daemon Tools installed, please uninstall it.

Be sure to follow these instructions:

Please un-install Daemon Tools, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html

Just a hunch about the video card:

Please follow these troubleshooting suggestions:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532
Also, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

And something to try, just in case the rest of the stuff doesn't work (another hunch):

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sihao387

sihao387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

I have been getting more and more annoyed at my computer because of this problem, and I feel that it is getting worse day by day.

Could a failing hard drive be the cause of the issue?

I got an Action Center notification that a driver error was detected and needed to restart, once I restart, Windows scanned the hard drive for errors. The next time it boots up, it froze (like always).

When I finally got it up without a freeze, I got another Action Center message saying that Windows Update is not setup for this machine (which is obviously a lie).

When I go enable it, I got: 

LNaWmXE.png

This shouldn't be a virus issue, because I am a person who is really conscious about the security of my computer, and I can assure you that any virus/adware scanner will not find anything close to harmful.

I am noticing a faint sound coming from my tower, it does indeed sounds like a disk stopped spinning and starts to spin again. When that happens (while I am actively using the computer), everything hangs for 2.0 seconds, which is about the duration it takes for the disk to spin again.

I didn't do most of the things that you have outlined in your post, because installing and restarting is starting to become more of a pain than it needs to be.

The last fresh install of Windows resulted in something similar too, started from important applications not launching because something inside the Windows folder was not compatible, and then as the days go on, most applications just stopped wanting to open, which is why I had to reset the computer.

To answer your question, I intentionally disabled the wireless lan driver because I don't need to use it for the moment, and the card's connection speed is not up to part with my standards.

I have tried to use the HDD test suggested, but I don't have any available blank CD/DVD, is there any alternative that you would recommend?

My HDD is Seagate Desktop HDD ST3000DM001 2TB

Edit:

Just ran the DISM, 126 errors.

Logs attached.

Without knowledge of whatever this is, I can already tell this is QUITE unusual for a relatively new computer. One or more of the parts may be dying and needs RMA.

Attached Files

• Attached File  dism.log   705.37KB   0 downloads

Edited by sihao387, 26 June 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 04:13 AM

Try running the Seagate Seatools for Windows:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

#7 sihao387

sihao387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

Installed the first time, computer froze when scanning for drives.

Restarted and tried running it, stxcon.exe has stopped working.

Same stxcon.exe error for the third time.

Removed and did a clean install for the 4th time, computer froze again when scanning for USB drives.

Edit:

Wanted to eliminate some of the confounding variables, so I decided to run MemTest for the night.

Went through 6 passes on 64 bit without a problem.

Edited by sihao387, 27 June 2015 - 10:54 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:38 AM

Make sure all USB devices are disconnected.

If it still causes problems, try HDTune (the free version):  http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

It's just below the HDTune Pro version

#9 sihao387

sihao387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

In Windows 8.1, it detects my HDD as a USB device, which may cause some problems. Why? I don't know...

Here are some screenshot of HD Tune, before I can no longer start this computer anymore in the near future.

I just made sure about my PSU, it definitely has enough to power everything I have in this computer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200

i1OxiE1.png

2lH6PjV.png

FXZxj2F.png

Before it was just the windows update, now several others have popped up.

aZIQPrk.png

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

Backup your data immediately!

What about the error scan in HDTune?

It it's not spitting a bunch of errors - then we have to wonder about other things (OS corruption or malware possibly)

#11 sihao387

sihao387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

I6X8xYs.png

I wondered about malware too, so ran a malwarebytes scan, but nothing got a hit.

This seems quite unlikely, because would it be that possible to have 2 OS corruptions within 2 months just naturally?

I found something quite interesting:

I ran memtestCL on my graphics card (which shows up as Tahiti for some reason that I am unaware of...)

xLsiO3g.png

If the GPU is having problems, why would the OS be corrupt at all?

This error showed up as steam tried to install DirectX for a game.

ZMUJy2f.png

Edit2: Eliminating more confounding variables. CPU seems to be all good.

xue77qu.png

Edit3: Decided to see if MemTestCL was working correctly, ran it on the CPU integrated graphics without errors.

Ran it a second time on my GPU with the following results:

mdv7lES.png

Edited by sihao387, 29 June 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:12 AM

That's interesting.   I didn't even expect that the video could cause these problems.

But, programs have to process video in order to show the things that it's done.

I suggest trying another video card.

If you don't have one on-hand, purchase one that you can return (for your money back) if it doesn't fix your problems.

Good luck!

#13 sihao387

sihao387
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

I am in the middle of submitting an RMA for my video card, but while I am on integrated, I started my computer and found that I cannot start executables like Filezilla.

Could there be any other cause?

Since it is quite obvious that my OS is still corrupted (I don't know if the video card could do that), I will try to reinstall and see what the outcome is.

What do you recommend on additional tests to do?

(I still have a bad hunch about the hard drive, maybe I will replace it too.)

But, to be realistic, it could be just the PSU that is affecting all the other hardware, couldn't it?

Edited by sihao387, 29 June 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:50 AM

Yes, yes, all of the tests at http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html , and yes

There could be other causes - but the video errors are the only significant thing that we've seen so far.

Reinstall the OS.  While it's not likely that the OS was corrupted by the video card, it's possible that reading/writing info through the errors may have messed something up.

Additional tests - if you've done all of the hardware diag tests from this link ( http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html ), then that's all the tests that I suggest.

Hard drive replacement - could be a cause, but it's passed the HDTune test

BUT, I've had an issue recently with someone who was using HDTune - so I suggest running the long Seagate Seatools test instead.

Finally, it could be the PSU.  You can test the voltages, you can run the PSU test in the OCBase software (it's in the 2nd set of video tests at the link above).  Here's a direct link to it:  http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download 

But frankly, a PSU behaves differently under load than it does while you're testing it.  The best test (IMO) is to remove enough stuff from the system to lessen the load on the PSU - and then see if it helps to improve things.  Otherwise the test would be to try another power supply.

As you've removed the video card and are operating on another video card (the integrated one) - it seems that that is not likely to be the problem.

As such, another set of reports would help us to see what else is going on.

- Please provide this information (even though you're not reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
- Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

If you don't have the additional parts to test with - DO NOT BUY new stuff to test with.  The exception to this is if you have enough money to purchase the parts - and have purchased them from a place that will refund your money if the part isn't needed.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users