Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed older working hard drive into Lenovo PC, but won't boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dmasterman

Dmasterman

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

I recently was given a brand new Lenovo H50

Came with a hard drive with windows 8.1, 8 gig of ram and 1tb of memory

Anyway I booted this thing up, and the default hard drive worked, but after several attempts to make my older hard drive, which I transferred into it, be the master HD to boot, the PC would fail to boot my old HD as the master HD. I took the HD that came with the pc out and directly hooked my older HD to whichI was given this message:

ERROR CODE 1962 - NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND

Several attempts later, and researching I found that you had to  enable CSM in the lenovo bios setup. Though this made the said error code disappear, the Lenovo boot screen flashes, goes black, then appears again as if the PC is constantly resetting.

The HD works, as I've tested it on another computer, and it does in fact read if it is a slave drive (all data files folders are all in tact)

So any help to make my older HD the master drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

Any of the changes, however minor will stop the OS from booting if the hardware is not identical.  To get around this, you need the original install disk for the os and you boot to it and do a repair.  Otherwise you're stuck. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users