Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuck at BIOS splash screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Meatbag

Meatbag

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

Need some help here. Beyond frustrated.

Windows 7

Mobo Gigabyte GA-277-D3H

Vid Card EVGA GTX 560 (trying to replace with GT 730 "low profile", which I'm also pissed off with because it's about half the size of the 560, so I know it's going to suck. Was in a rush to fix this crap and didn't research much)

PSU Silencer Mk2 750wats

Started when my computer crashed with a video anomaly. It's not something very new, as I've been having crashing and video anomaly problems with this card for years and I figured it was only a matter of time before it gave up the ghost.

Tried restarting my comp a few times and it continued to make all of the bootup noises, including letting me log in with my password (even though the screen was blank). After trying this a few times, it stopped getting that far and would only have the one initial start up beep.

Got this new video card, which I was immediately displeased with as stated earlier. Hooked it up, which restored video and that's when I found that the computer would not boot past the BIOS splash screen. Gives the single beep, fans spin up like usual, then nothing. BIOS related buttons a few times with no response, it starts a "clicking" noise whenever pressing them. Still doesn't progress past this screen.

Tried taking out the ram, that causes an error where the comp just makes continuous beeping noises (read that it giving an error is an indicator that the mobo is still good). Don't get any further disconnecting vid card or hard drives. Took out mobo battery and put it back in, still nothing.

I have no idea what to do from here. bleh.

Discovered something new. If I leave the computer on, it will give a single beep around every 30 seconds for about 2 minutes. After that it progresses to the next screen where it remains with a blinking underscore line. Doesn't progress from there and pressing keys does nothing.

Edited by Meatbag, 21 June 2015 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:39 AM

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

I suspect memory because of the beeps, but I suspect the hard drive because of the freezing at the BIOS splash screen (so try both diagnostics).

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Meatbag

Meatbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:34 PM

I can't get it to boot from a disk. It gets to the mobo flash screen (first screen); and I can't do anything from it. No keys will respond (F12 for boot menu). I'm suspecting that it's a bad motherboard. :\

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:41 AM

Try resetting the CMOS.  Remove the power cord, then hold the power button down for 30 seconds

Then remove the CMOS battery (usually a round thing the size of a US nickle) - most often labelled CR2032

Leave it out for at least 30 seconds.

Then hook everything back up and see if it'll boot.

If it does, go into the BIOS and reset the date (it'll change once you reset the CMOS)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Meatbag

Meatbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. So frustrating :\

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 04:25 AM

Have you tried to put the old video card back in?

Have you tried to disconnact all non-essential stuff in order to see if another device or a loose connection is at fault.

Here's a link that may help with suggestions:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

#7 Meatbag

Meatbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:17 AM

Good news, progress has been made.

I haven't been messing with the computer lately out of frustration. Picked back up today and none of the fixes I could find were working; but I did discover that my motherboard does in fact have on board HDMI connection for graphics (which I feel like an idiot for not checking before). Took out the replacement video card and plugged into on board and things started working.

I am now able to enter bios like normal and attempt to start my computer; which immediately BSODs once the swirling particles of the "starting windows screen" appear. The computer shuts down immediately so I cannot read what the error is.

Window's startup repair isn't able to fix it, with a list of 7 "problem signatures" which I'll post a pic of later once my camera batteries are charged. System restore completes but also is not able to fix this.

Try a repair with the windows 7 disc says that it cannot repair this version of windows.

Hope you have some more suggestions on proceeding from here. I am pretty ecstatic that the problem doesn't seem as bad as I thought (bad motherboard).

Looking at the detailed startup repair log, it states that there is 1 root cause and windows cannot determine what it is. On all of its tests it states "completed successfully. error code = 0x0". At the very bottom of the log, it says:

Root Cause found:

----------------------------

Unspecified ch

Edited by Meatbag, 11 July 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:31 AM

Well, it's possible that the onboard video card it bad - or that the hard drive is bad.

I'd start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Also, please provide this information (even though you're not experiencing BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

#9 Meatbag

Meatbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:38 AM

Well this is interesting. Trying to boot from the memtest CD says

BOOTMGR is missing

Press ctrl + alt + del to restart

I'm assuming that's a clue?

And I said I am now experiencing a BSOD on the windows startup screen

How do I go about running the BSOD report app on my other computer? Can't get far enough to mess with folders.

Edited by Meatbag, 11 July 2015 - 05:35 AM.

#10 Meatbag

Meatbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:39 AM

del 

Edited by Meatbag, 11 July 2015 - 04:40 AM.

#11 Meatbag

Meatbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

Also tried to use safe mode. The BSOD eventually triggered during the loading process.

Pic of the BSOD

http://imgur.com/JuuPy5t

editeditedit- OKAY! I got it figured out. So it turned out that the hard drive settings in the bios were turned to IDE for some reason. Turning it back to ACHI allowed the computer to boot and everything seems to be working normally (sans video card). So it appears I just need to replace that and I should be good to go.

Thank baby jesus. FINALLY.

Edited by Meatbag, 11 July 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:26 AM

I'm glad that you managed to figure this out.

Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users