Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I put my hardrive in a new build

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kronen

kronen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:09 PM

I'm going to sell my high end PC and trade it in for a cheaper model.

I don't want to have to start windows again though, I have a set up a certain way and I don't want to hastle of having to start over again.

So, I was wondering coudl I put the hardrive in my current build in a new one and run the exact same version of windows I am using now just on cheaper hardware?

Is there a way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

Simple answer NO!  It is imprinted with you last chip.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

Can't he do it if he buys a new license?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

Don't think so but wait for finer minds!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

I'm going to sell my high end PC and trade it in for a cheaper model.

I don't want to have to start windows again though, I have a set up a certain way and I don't want to hastle of having to start over again.

So, I was wondering coudl I put the hardrive in my current build in a new one and run the exact same version of windows I am using now just on cheaper hardware?

Is there a way to do this?

Yes but isn't a easy task because the installed windows is "adjusted" to the hardware you have. There are disk image software that can create an image of the current install and then restore to dissimilar hardware, the software will remove the drivers for the hardware missing and will install/request the ones needed to successfully boot windows on the new machine.

I don't know of any free image software that allow the restore to dissimilar hardware usually only the payed versions can do it.

Another thing to consider is that you will need a new windows license for the new machine, most machines have an OEM license that is bound to the original hardware and can't be transferred to another machine. This will not apply in case you have a retail version.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Unless you have the original installation disk for the OS you want to use, a repair is not possible and the OS cannot recognize the hardware changes and locks up or begins looping.

#7 kronen

kronen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

I do have the orignal installation disk for the OS I am using.

Could you reconmmend any disk image software? I don't mind paying.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

Could you reconmmend any disk image software? I don't mind paying.

- Acronis True Image + plug-in Acronis Universal Restore

- EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation

On a search today I found that AOMEI Backupper Standard free can do it!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:23 AM

If you have the original OS installation disk, a "REPAIR" would be better than using some third party program.  Boot to the disk and select the repair option.  This will load the appropriate drivers for the hardware it finds present.  Even if the drive is moved from one system to another, the repair will correct for hardware changes.

#10 kronen

kronen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:36 AM

"If you have the original OS installation disk, a "REPAIR" would be better than using some third party program.  Boot to the disk and select the repair option.  This will load the appropriate drivers for the hardware it finds present.  Even if the drive is moved from one system to another, the repair will correct for hardware changes."

-Could you walk me through this process a bit more?

So I would have to boot the current OS in the new build and select the "repair" option, then I could simply move the drive from my old PC to the new one?

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

First, the boot order needs to be changed in the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive.  Mount the drive from the old PC in the new unit as the first drive or master.  Boot to the OS disk and the OS should guide you through the  "repair " process, it's not an install, you do not want to format.  The OS disk will check the codes to insure the OS on the hard drive matches the CD/DVD disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users