Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on switching from a gaming PC to a gaming laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 4c756b65

4c756b65

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

I currently have a gaming PC and a work laptop, I've been considering selling both and getting a gaming laptop instead that I can use for both.

My only conern with a laptop is that they seem to get outdated a lot faster. I'm not sure if this applies to the high end laptops, but every laptop I have ever had usually slows down a LOT after 1-2 years of use.

Where as my gaming PC has been pretty good for the last 5 years, it's getting to the point where it can't play some games on High, but until this year it's been consistently good and stable in performance.

My question is, if i buy this laptop: http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatecheliten1608.html

Will I be able to use it a lot (8-10 hours a day) for a minimum 3 years without it completely turning into trash? I expect a little slow down but hopefully nothing drastic.

Another question: a friend of mine bought this same laptop a few days ago and I asked him to do a test to see if it can run Witcher 3: http://gyazo.com/729a78158817195005de7b3faacbdf97 this was the results. Why is this? It doesn't look like it detects the graphics driver at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

The nVidia Quadro line of video cards is for CAD, not gaming.  That machine is designed to be a mobile CAD workstation.

The biggest downside of going with a gaming laptop is upgrading the video card is not normally an option, this is what allows you to keep a desktop machine going for a few more years.

My recommendation is that unless you must have the portability of a laptop you are much better off with a gaming PC.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

Sager laptops allow for switching out the graphics unit.  You can find a list of Sager laptops that support switching out the GPU on xoticpc.com

What you see there is a false positive in the test.  That laptop exceeds the amount of video ram although the laptop should be able to run the game just fine you will get low fps because the video card is not designed for speed it is designed to have a crap ton of vram for keeping large amounts of data in vram (CAD) and the like. The K3100m performs just below a gtx760m which is the lowest I would go for a mobile gaming platform.

The 970 on the sager line supports up to 6gb of (shared) vram and up to 8GB for the 980m

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:06 PM

I currently have a gaming PC and a work laptop, I've been considering selling both and getting a gaming laptop instead that I can use for both.

My only conern with a laptop is that they seem to get outdated a lot faster. I'm not sure if this applies to the high end laptops, but every laptop I have ever had usually slows down a LOT after 1-2 years of use.

Where as my gaming PC has been pretty good for the last 5 years, it's getting to the point where it can't play some games on High, but until this year it's been consistently good and stable in performance.

My question is, if i buy this laptop: http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatecheliten1608.html

Will I be able to use it a lot (8-10 hours a day) for a minimum 3 years without it completely turning into trash? I expect a little slow down but hopefully nothing drastic.

Another question: a friend of mine bought this same laptop a few days ago and I asked him to do a test to see if it can run Witcher 3: http://gyazo.com/729a78158817195005de7b3faacbdf97 this was the results. Why is this? It doesn't look like it detects the graphics driver at all.

This is the ASUS family of Gaming machines.  I can't recommended them highly or strongly enough!  I hold ASUS machines in high esteem.  I have sold a lot of ASUS  machines to my customers... they love them!  They make very good machines, very well made & constructed, excellent Features & better-than-most guarantees.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#5 bytianzuo

bytianzuo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:33 PM

They make very good machines, very well made & constructed, excellent Features & better-than-most guarantees.7.gif

Edited by bytianzuo, 08 July 2015 - 09:33 PM.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:13 PM

They make very good machines, very well made & constructed, excellent Features & better-than-most guarantees.7.gif

YES, indeed!!

#7 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

+1 for ASUS motheboards and gaming laptops. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users