Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help on making this pictures of a document more readable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FlorinStem

FlorinStem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hi, I need some help  with this kind of pictures (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qlqizu4qb1ao8i/DSC_0411.jpg?dl=0) and i want to make the text more readeble because i want to print them,i already tried to increase the contrast, but there is always a dark coner ,or a write one.I will print this kind of pictures in black and write so no colors neded.I have to edit about 50 pictures(https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gselebawd7h2a7b/AAApuT4UGsypR_c3pMsGDM-Ta?dl=0) and make them printable, so i dont only need to get that photo edited , but to learn how to do that .

In the end i want to apologize for my bad english.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:44 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Is this all you have ?  Or do you have access to the original notebook ?  If you have access, I would suggest the best thing to do is to re-scan the whole thing and make sure to do it in gray scale.

I just downloaded the image you listed above and using reasonably sophisticated image editing software tried selecting the text by colour, in the hope of then being able to paste it onto a white background. This didn't work because either it picked up too much of the background or it didn't pick up enough of the text.

The image you supplied is obviously a photograph taken in either April or September 2014 - the EXIF information is still attached - and the lighting is poor and that is your problem. It doesn't look as though the document was in a glass case but there is a terrible amount of shadow to the left.

I think you have only three effective solutions :  re-scan the document, or re-shoot it this time using flash, or - if you must have clean text - transcribe the document. This will of course take away the effect of having the original handwritten document, and I must say the writing is very legible. I presume this document is in a library or museum somewhere - have you tried contacting them to see if they have or can make a clean copy for you ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 FlorinStem

FlorinStem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:16 PM

first of all thanks for help ,the problem is i dont have the notebook anymore , that pictures are taken from a  friend notebook  with what should i learn for my final exam of the hightschool (which i dont have becuse i am lazy :mellow: ) i have to learn that until 29.06 , so i cant contact him to take others photos .... Well i guess i wont print that anymore  , i will just read them  on my laptop...

I have to agre with you that his hand writing is very good, and there is me :hysterical: (https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5fy9oh5qejvjl8/20150623_020841.jpg?dl=0).

I will come back on this forum after i finish all the exams because i want to learn how to do photo editing properly.

Hope i will do good on my exam, and thank you again for your help, is nice to see that there are still people that will help you without expecting anything in return.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

I am not going to say anything about copying or borrowing notes from friends - that's how many of us got through university !

For the future remember that it is very difficult to significantly improve a poor photograph, it is much better to take as good a one as possible in the first place. Digital photography is extremely cheap, the effective cost of taking one more image is virtually zero so take several at different settings to find which settings work best and then use those settings. But one thing that all cameras are not good at is dealing with very wide contrast and illumination ranges - they are much worse than the human eye/brain combination - so you need the illumination as even as possible across the page when taking the shot.

You are lucky that your friend has such legible writing. If you put these on a computer screen you should have little difficulty reading them, I agree that trying to print them will be very difficult.

Good luck with your exams !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users