Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Network Device in CP\View Network Computers, Dev.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lesterr

lesterr

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:05 AM

After starting my Windows 8.1 laptop, if I go to the Control Panel\Network and Internet\View Network Computers and Devices, a device is listed that is not on my network.  It is listed as either a Ralink wireless client Model # RT286U, a full_ariel Model KFARWI, or a Linksys Wireless Router Model WRT110 and if I right click on the device and select the properties the Model #, Name, and MAC Address are shown. I checked the Device Manager and it was not listed in the Device Manager. Also, my router did not show it as an attached device. I have Win 8.1 laptop, a Win 7 laptop, an iphone, android phone, ipad, WD NAS, and HP wireless printer connected to a Netgear AC wireless router with MAC address filtering enabled. None of the devices I have on my network have the MAC address listed for any of the devices.  After a short period of time the device disappears. I have set up my network as a private network.  I have my router & computer in my basement. 

What is puzzling is the devices don't show up as attached to my router and also do not show an internet or workgroup connection.  I have run several tests from GRC and also from the Technicians Toolbox and everything shows my computer and network to be secure. 

I am somewhat disturbed by the fact my computer picks up the devices' MAC. Does that indicate that there is some communication (request - answer) between my computer and the unknown device? I am trying to figure out if the device is making it through my Win 8.1 Firewall or my wireless adapter is just picking up its' transmission (my computer is acting like a radio receiver).  If the latter is the case then why do numerous networks (routers) in my area that show up when I click on the networks icon not show up as connected to my network also.  The fact that the MAC information (which I believe is OSI layer 2 information) is being received makes me wonder if the device could be using one of the tunnelling protocols to get through the firewall? I am running my Firewall with the default settings.  

My concerns are: Are the devices a security issue and can they access my network?  How come my computer detects them? Since the devices do not list either a work group or a network location so am I correct in assuming the devices are not connecting through my router? Is there anything I can do to prevent them from being detected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

Could just be a wifi AP in your area that your wifi card is seeing.  Download xirrus wifi inspector and see if you see it there.

#3 lesterr

lesterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:56 AM

Wand3r3r: Thanks for your reply.  I downloaded Xirrus Inspector and two of the unknown devices did show up in the Networks window when they were also listed in the Control Panel\View Network Computers and Devices. I was able to identify one of the devices as a router belonging to one of my neighbors but the other one disappeared before I could capture the information. The one I did identify was indicated as operating on channel 1, which is the same channel as my router.  The device I was able to identify showed up in the Control Panel 2 different times but in Xirrus only once, which I thought was a odd.  My concerns mentioned in my previous post are still valid, perhaps even more so now.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited by lesterr, 25 June 2015 - 07:04 PM.

#4 lesterr

lesterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

An update to the previous posts: This morning the internet was down but my computer still picked up a device.  This time it was identified as a phone: Quanta Model QMV7A and the MAC was shown. I googled it after the internet service was restored  and it is indicated to be an Ellipsis 7 from Verizon.  As with the other devices no Network or Workgroup was associated with it and Xirrus showed it also. The fact that the MAC information (which I believe is OSI layer 2 information) is being received makes me wonder if the device could be using one of the tunnelling protocols to get through the firewall?

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

What you are seeing has nothing to do with your lan or equipment.  What you are seeing is simply other wifi enabled equipment in your area.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 26 June 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#6 lesterr

lesterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Wand3r3r: So, to see if I understand,  my wifi card is picking up the signal from the device and then when my computer realizes it is not part of my workgroup it drops it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users