Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB port stops functioning after plugging in a specific accessory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 splins

splins

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:56 AM

I got a new Y50 Lenovo laptop two days ago and everything was working perfectly. Out of the three available usb ports, I had my mouse, headphones, and CoolerMaster X-Slim fan plugged in. The fan was working well until I started getting power surge notifications in the bottom right, and suddenly the fan stopped functioning. I unplugged the fan from the usb and replugged it, but nothing. I then tried plugging in my mouse to that port, and it didn't work. I re-installed the USB drivers and restarted my computer. I then tried plugging my mouse into that port, and it worked! However, whenever I plug the external fan into ANY of the three ports, the USB port immediately stops functioning for anything. Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? Is there too much electricity going through the computer? Faulty fan? Thanks in advance for the help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like the fan is faulty to me as well. I'd definitely stop trying to use it on that brand new Lenovo Y50 laptop until you can get it checked out, or replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users